Thursday, March 14, 2019

The General My Ass



I just got notification from my insurance coverage that my insurance is been renewed for another month. I go month-to-month on my insurance. I believe I've mentioned this once or twice in the past when writing about giving up driving, which I did a couple years ago long before the divorce. Well, it wasn't long before but at least a year before the divorce. I was essentially wearing my butt out dragging myself from my power chair onto the drivers seat of the van. I had a close call one day when getting some videos from the now defunct Blockbuster video way back in May 2013 it was enough for me to give up my driving privileges. This was okay I thought because Dianne would be around if I needed to get somewhere that I cannot access with public transit like after hours or on weekends. I stopped driving and then let my license lapse that was a mistake.

Fast-forward to now (about six space years) figure in to stenosis operations, major loss of mobility/independence, one divorce and getting my white van is part of the settlement of that divorce. I really didn't want the van the Dianne did not want it either “it's a truck I don't want to drive truck” I've had the van ever sense. And dedicated reader will note that I didn't even use the van for about a year and a half until last summer when we decided to get the vehicle registered for the family reunion. Again if one would research the blog with the little search square search for family reunion you be able to read more about that event and what it took to get the vehicle functional unlicensed. I have chosen to keep the vehicle license now but I have probably driven only three times since the reunion!I found out that when I went to purchase insurance for the vehicle that because I let the vehicle set for more than a couple of months my old insurance company either would or could not ensure me through their company and have to go to a high risk agency. So technically I'm still going through American Family Insurance but but I'm paying the money to The General! I'm paying about $103 a month! And fortunately, or unfortunately, I have it set up the payment comes directly out of my bank account. I got dinged a couple months because I was late with my insurance payment the penalty was significantly. Hundred dollars a month! That is $1200 a year!! I can ride a lot taxicabs for $1200 a year. Still, I like having the vehicle there if and when I needed even if I would need to charge the battery because I do not drive the vehicle enough to keep the battery charged. Seems to me I should be able to get a lower insurance rates. I need to start checking around. I like the Geico people especially the little lizard guy. I also like the Liberty commercial.. I think I'm going to explore what they have to offer and get out of this high risk insurance writing to screwing me over big time.

No comments: