Sunday, March 17, 2019

Red meat And Green Cabbage



I think we've established that I'm not a big believer in St. Patrick's Day nor have I ever been a big celebrant of that day either but I like to have a reason to celebrate anything actually these days particularly if celebrating the event involves cooking. Today involved cooking. I have to admit I was a little intimidated about the concept of cooking brisket but it seemed like it would be much easier just plopping the whole thing into the slow cooker and then ignored for half a day. Which is basically what I did. I actually slept until about 7:30 AM which I hardly ever do. But I did get up and eventually pulled the brisket, three pounder, out of the fridge but still off and put the brisket in the slow cooker. When did they start calling a crockpot slow cooker? I know that's what the crockpot does but really “slow cooker” spare me. The brisket was a bit awkward-squarely might be a better term. I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of blood the brisket was swimming in and figured I had to drain and rinse off the beef before I placed it in the crockpot/slow cooker. I don't know why I did not see it coming, actually I did, but once I had cut the end off the plastic the meat slipped right out into the sink, handling the meat was little slimy—not a bad slimy just a slippery slimy like something dead and slippery—but I finally corralled the piece of meat, rinsed the meat off and plopped it in the crock added a little bit of water and covered and put the cooker on high. The one recipe I read called for slow cooking the product 11 hours that really seem like overkill in the did want a sitting down to eat at 8 o'clock in the evening. I figured I'd be cool by five 6 o'clock.

I have more than once regaled myself for cooking this St. Patrick's Day dinner. 3 pounds of brisket for one person. This brisket is on top of at least a 2 pound meatloaf I couldn't last night which by the way was very tasty. Either way I need to each a small quantities of either product over the next couple weeks or I'm way over my weight. I can't gain any more weight what goes on must come off and that is truly grueling. Just for the record I am continuing my ingestion of vinegar water, specifically Bragg Apple vinegar water . 3 tablespoons and 8 ounces of water every morning chug it down. I've come to the realization that the concoction doesn't do anything except maybe fill you up a few moments after you drink all that water at one shot and maybe if you go without breakfast it may have an impact on the overall weight gain. I kind of doubt it perhaps just focusing on the drinking as a weight reduction intervention that might have an impact as well but is not a magic bullet that I can tell. But I must agree with my buddy to turn me on to this process just drinking the concoction once or twice a day so makes you feel better give you a bit of a left then again it might all be in my head. I think going to have to drink a lot of Brag apple vinegar to work past this protein weekend.

I called the brisket done about 6 o'clock just a 60 minutes was starting. I cut half full head of cabbage through it in a pot of hot water in tenderized six wedges. I pulled the brisket out cut off a few pieces the taste. I may have cooked the brisket too long. I don't know why they said 11 hours. I like the sample end that I had. I fished out the carrots the potatoes and put them together on my plate fished out the cabbage put on the plate as well and took a picture. It was a real St. Patrick's Day dinner. I feasted enjoy as I watched 60 minutes and patted myself on the back another meal well cooked.

No comments: