Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Making Sure



I was on my way out the door this morning, running up to the bus stop to jump the 47 into Lowes big-box store for all things building and home repair. I have been thinking for a couple of weeks that I need to get to Lowes and pick up a couple of pieces of quarter Inch dowel that I use for hooks. I thought I had packed everything I needed into my black backpack even the bus pass which I forgot on yesterday's trip. But I got out of the door out onto the sidewalk headed for the bus stop when I realized that I had neglected to pack catheters into my backpack. I almost felt the backpack last night because yesterday when I was out at the movies and they used a catheter realize it it was my last catheter and I need to restock – – there's nothing worse to be out in public and have to P and not have the catheters with me. This lack of catheterization is actually panicking so much so that I turned right around and headed back to the apartment. I like to have 4 or five catheters stuck in my backpack at any given time.
But for one reason or another I used all the catheters in the bag. I grabbed three figuring that's the most I would use and headed back to the bus stop.

The reason I used three instead of the usual five is because I am using my last box of catheters. My orders come with about six boxes of catheters are hundred 80 catheters. This number is based on the fact that I probably use about six catheters during a 24-hour period. I usually never worry about running out of catheters because the organization that I ordered from always are on my case it seems two weeks before I really need almost to the point of annoyance. I'd really expected to get a call last week or I thought early this week but no call came and it was during the weekend that I realized that I was down to my last box of catheters. And actually I think I may still have another box kicking around but I just can't find the box of catheters anywhere. First thing this morning after the 8 o'clock hour when I knew somebody would be in station at my urological supply center I made the call and placed the order. I was a little surprised in that the customer service person alive and did up visiting with indicated that she was supposed to call me and of this week. I thought that was weird because I really know their late calling so I don't know what that's about but either way I got the problem solved the catheters will be mailed later today or tomorrow and I should have them by the end of the week. I probably have about 22 to 23 catheters left. At one point in time this would've really freaked me out thinking that I was going to run out but I've been rethinking an incident that happened a number of years ago when is hanging out with a couple of my paraplegic friends who used intermittent catheterization – – this is before I started sticking my dick. I was aghast we were all drinking together and had to drain, they had to drain, I was watching and sure enough they shared the same catheter. I really thought the world and or at least the sky would fall. Then a couple of years ago I was talking to another friend of mine who is a para-who was astounded at how many catheters I used in a month
and was even more astounded that my insurance paid for it all. He said why would you want to throw away a catheter after just one use? The catheter is not even broke in until you have used it 15 or 20 times. I have about 10 or 20 catheters that I've set aside and keep it in a drawer by my sink. These are my emergency catheters they been used and I've sterilize them under their to use when I run out of individually packaged, sterilized, used only once catheter. I'm now saving out five or 10 catheters a box as backup for when the system fails and no one can get catheters anywhere. I'll be set :-)!

No comments: