Saturday, October 02, 2021

It's A Book – – Duh

 




Who gets mail anymore? I know I really don't periodically I'll get something from one of the granddaughters which is real mail! These pieces of mail are enough that I continue to check my mail on a regular basis but not as regular as I used to. Except for this year actually the last couple weeks I would check my mail everyday but recently for some reason I'm not checking my box with the frequency that I used to. I don't know if I've just given up our mail has just descended on my list of daily priorities. Now I go to three maybe four days without heading down to the mailboxes. Today was one of those days that I have nothing else better to do this the second day of the month, one never knows, I thought I would head down to check. I opened my mailbox and there was nothing in there except various come ons and the usual suspects asking for money. I was a little surprised to see that hospital that Danny Thomas, supports St. Jude's. They had the standard envelope stuffed with a bunch of sticky return address labels for letters in such. I usually save the labels and trash the letter but I've got so many labels now that this year I just threw the whole envelope into the garbage without even harvesting the labels. I was just about ready to leave when the real man showed up so I figured what the hell all just went around. He was busy stuffing the boxes and I decided all I'll just let it go as I turned around is a great hold on the pulled out this would seem to be a huge package and handed it to me. I was astounded. I thought that I'd received everything had sent for recently. This is really ahead scratcher. The package was book size which really gave it away and weighed about as much as I thought a book would but I just don't remember ordering any books recently. What really was a shock was that whoever or whatever sent me the package spent like $11.40 to post it! If it was book why did they send it at book rate?


The only thing I can think of was that I got myself involved with this family genealogy group that really think highly of themselves. It's the Carter line which is one of my grandparents on my mother's side couple generations back. They've really develop quite an organization publishing Carter history books often on. I had not ordered anything like that nor would I but that's only thing I can think of as I got back to the apartment to look for something to cut the wrapping with. Package came in a big envelope brown paper. I actually was able to terror part of it off but was stifled when I ran in two a second layer of paper and then the third and I find decided to go to the scissors which I did even then I seem to be running the barriers right and left till finally I got down to the payload it was the novel by Bill Clinton James Patterson. The book is a hardback and when I opened the front page there is a card for my little sister who sent the book. It's been quite a while since I'd received anything I guess that's why I was so shocked. She reads a lot and often sends me the volumes she thinks I would enjoy. I think she's in a book club. I think the title is The Presidents Daughter In truth I have been somewhat interested in this volume but never thought about reading it until now.


I won't be able to get to this read for a couple of weeks still I'm in the middle of a Robert Ludlum novel but it's great to have something to look forward to and now I do.




No comments: