Friday, October 01, 2021

Brown Paper Bags

 



I know it's sophomoric as hell it's also kind of cute. I don't know who's doing it or why but every once in a while when I come back from where my excursions out of the apartment complex or just back from going across the street the market will be something attached to the clamp outside my door usually it's a bag of cookies but it's been other things as well. A couple weeks ago it was a simple bag of candy's. But there's also been fruit. I of course asked my neighbor Billie across the hall who I figured was the main are most likely culprit but she swears up and down it was not her and I believe Billie. There's also a person on the second floor who I really thought might be the cook or bag person but Trish says is not her either. And aside from those two I have no idea who it could be.


Now I did say that it felt like sophomoric actions but maybe even earlier than sophomoric hood. When the most fascinating things for me when I started junior high was having a very own locker. The whole thing seems so mysterious. Even before getting that slender steel cabinet with a latch you can padlock you got the note from the junior high indicating things you would need for school things like a towel, gym clothes and stuff like that two sets of combination locks one lock for your hall walker and one for your gym locker. The combination locks always stressed me out. I was terrified of forgetting the combination myth that happened or for whatever reason the vice principal always show up with the cutters which cut through the combos like knife through butter. More than once I/we witnessed Mr. Worsham cut off the locks of “bad” boys lockers which might contain stolen merchandise, weapons, tobacco products and other drugs. This didn't happen often but when it did it was a big deal. But I digress , What I'm trying to write about is things just showing up from unknown admirers, for lack of a better word, I think through my whole junior high and high school career I may have had only three items show up in my locker or brown paper bags taped to my locker, something just for me. Actually, remember I talked about my terror of forgetting my combination? Well I often wouldn't use the lock on my locker or if I had to I wouldn't close it so the combination lock wouldn't lock up . That way I would be sure to be able to open the locker at the end of the day to either stash my books or to collect books I might need over night/weekend. After the accident when I returned to school There is no way I could use a combination lock so I guess it was academic.


I don't know who is leaving me the gifts. There's always something tantalizing about a brown paper bag and was inside. This week it was three homemade cookies and are very good homemade cookies. Needless to say I gobbled them up in one evening. Washing them down with bailed coffee is like thank whoever was responsible…



No comments: