Sunday, October 10, 2021

To Russia With Love

One of the participants in the Sunday morning Zoom session
From Russia


Sunday Remember, I started this project with Mark Anthony earlier this summer where we began going out to breakfast Sunday mornings at 8 AM. Sometimes the granddaughter, Jasmine joins us but not today she had homecoming prom last night. It's so weird thinking of grandchildren to spare you homecoming events. Seems so long ago… For me. It was a little chilly heading up to the restaurant this morning but there was no rain. As usual I there before Mark Anthony and secured a table and coffee cups. This morning's discussion focused on his work and successes at work. I like to hear about people and their jobs and how they perform them especially when your kids Are doing good works and being acknowledged by leadership. Anyway, that was this morning's conversation and because of some issues of having with my power chair as well as having a bit of a tender tush I elected not to zoom around the neighborhood session. Instead we did what is becoming a regular part of our morning rituals and that is hosting a – – not sure what to call it a Zoom-session with a group of individuals in Russia various cities. This is something Mark Anthony's put together by himself with his infatuation of the whole Russian experience. Realize when I say “Russian or Russia” I'm Talking about the complete territory which is to be the Soviet Union, that huge expense made up of many smaller countries that once made the huge Soviet bloc. Somehow Mark Anthony has put together this whole little group of 7 to 14 people or something that tend to meet every Sunday about nine or 10:00 AM our time which is about 8 PM the next day in Russia. We use Zoom software of course which means we mostly are doing visual chat with a few folks who do texting. It's amazing how I assume these people come together to try out there English language skills and Mark Anthony has put together a platform for that to happen. He of course wants to strengthen his Russian speaking skills but I think they're getting the best deal. There's about five or six regulars and oddly I begin to feel a long-distance bond for these folks. We all pretty much know me as “Mark's dad” I'm clearly the oldest person in the group. I think everyone did the group is a little cautious and I suspect particularly those in the Old Soviet bloc where you never knew who was listening in or who you can trust. Interesting in today's discussion they feel the same way about people in America. They're concerned about what they might say and if what they say will get Mark Anthony into trouble politically speaking. Mark tried to put their concerns to rest but I think I could tell from some of their expressions that it quite buy it. But it's kind of fun and it's fun to have something to look forward to every Sunday. I don't know how long this Russian romance will go on but until the guys of black hats in black suits breakdown my door I guess we keep signing on every Sunday morning with English with Mark.

No comments: