Sunday, October 03, 2021

Legacy

 



I think I'm really am coming to terms with my mortality more specifically the fact that I'm not going to live forever and I better get busy if I'm going to have any kind of legacy at all after I'm gone. That all sounds pretty bad and self-serving but if I'm being honest with myself maybe that's exactly what I'm doing. Like to think I am this big altruistic guy Writing to the grandkids every month so they know how the US mail works. What I'm really wondering and thinking about in truth my doing this as a way to make sure I have something left after I'm gone that since I was here.


I've written in the past about how I think its odd that my whole existence seems to be being eradicated one where the other. The only school building that I attended is my high school Borah high. My grade school has been raised the same as my junior high. My goodness I went to a university that's me out of brick I'm sure it would be gone to. Luckily, the house on Latah Street in Boise Idaho 602 S. Latah to be exact is still standing. The farm were I was raised After we moved from Latah is long gone sliced and diced into suburbs what a shame. There seems little traces of my work existence. Luckily there those younger than I still alive will test that I spent time at a certain desk in a certain office but some of my most significant work experiences there is no trace of my having been there. Remember the other day I wrote about José Rodriguez. I met José it will those work spots neighborhood health clinics in Nampa. When I search those entities I found images of everybody in the clinic except me. There is no mention of me anywhere. If I was more sensitive I'm sure I would've been heartbroken but I shrugged my shoulders and went on. You got a remember I'm the kid's mother gave him away. So everything in perspective I'm okay. So the point that I'm getting I guess to is maybe this is one of the things I'm doing with writing the letters to the grandkids and whoever else. Is that somewhere or someone of these kids are going to keep these documents for however long they wish to drag them around. They all attest to the fact that I wrote to them monthly I'm sure to some point I was kind of a past I am kind of a past.Just like the pins I would get from my grandparents who were Salvation Army, a ballpoint pen with a pair of praying hands on the clasp. I used the pen in junior high To ward off Christians it kind of worked. All I remember was thinking, every year, why do they send me these pens? I'm sure it's the same with the grandkids especially ones I send the two dollars to each month. They probably pull the two dollars out and think what the hell of a good ado with just two dollars? I know one of the mothers is keeping the letters and binders for the kids for when they're older and maybe that's as good as I'm getting get. Binders and binders of monthly letters: a legacy of sorts…

No comments: