Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Goodbye Nasal Hair

 

Doc Adams


One of the biggest challenges I've endured entering into this so bizarre world oh senior hoodhas been various changes my body has been making mostly for the worst. Maybe not the most significant has been the growth of facial hair in places I never really thought about before. Specifically my nose and ears. I mean seriously nose and ears! I mean I've done the “ear” Bush so badly the barber has taken upon itself just to hack out the strands of hair trying to make a run for it. Like I said I'd never noticed before but now sometimes I can even see these hairs sprouting out of my years. The other body orifice are the nostrils! My nose hairs of gone wild in the past couple years! Before, every once a while when I would get straggler one long hair jutting out I would reach up, with both hands, catch the errant tear between my two thumbnails and yank it out. I thought that was odd at first, then, got used to it, but never really stopped too much about the whole process until the last couple of years. Now, if I'm not paying attention pretty soon I began rubbing my nose with little nose twickles which can just about drive me crazy. I go through this whole process of not really focusing on the reason we just trying to get some calm underneath my nose. I did not pay attention much to this bizarre process until one morning whole shaving I happened to glance at my nose cannot believe the amount of nose hairs pushed my way out. Some hairs long enough to where they're actually kind of bending up once they get out of the nose. Once I realize I had the dreaded nose hairs I start taking precautions were trying to. Actually, I do remember a time when married and Dianne was trying to take care of me that she actually went after my nose hairs with these nose hair machines trimmers. Dianne went deep, she did a great job but I can hardly sit still from the nose area being tickled – – literally – – and the occasional higher tug when an actual nose hair got caught in the trimmer blades and just pulled it. This is more startled than painful but there is certainly an element of both. I guess those Rotary devices worked or Dianne got them to work because my nose itches would not be a significant for a couple of weeks. I remember this and now I have no less than two nose trimmers that I really think don't do much of a job at all.


Remember us talking about the old guys noses? What really made me think about nose hairs and old guys was remembering good old Doc Adams on Gunsmoke. Remember Gunsmoke was a Saturday night perennial among the few shows I think my dad actually liked and watched on televisionbut what I remember most was the good Dr. always rubbing his nose, granted Doc Adams did have a bushy mustache. What I remembered most was the good Dr. trimming his own nose with little bitty scissors. There always seem to be a scene with either Matt Dillon or Chester Goode stopping into the doctor's office were Doc Adams was cutting the foliage out of his nostrils. With that in mind I actually searched for nose trimming scissors and they have! Cute little scissors with blunt ends, are supposed to prevent self lobotomy. At first about the process was tedious and didn't know if it was worth the six or seven bucks I spent on the scissors but now I've gotten used to the process and like the concept of self grooming. The blunt scissors really help. It doesn't take long to get the major hairs out of the way and are not noticeable unless was really looking at them up close with a curved mirror. All I can say is thanks, Doc…

No comments: