Thursday, March 31, 2022

Time To Sketch or Not

 



I want to try again! I don't know this because it's spring or because I happened to notice one of my tablets in the creative cabinet or what but all the sudden I've got a almost overpowering urge to do a little bit of drawing. I was go through this at some point in the year that's all I can do to keep from running out and purchasing another tablet that's the last thing I need is more blank paper. I have so many tablets now I get embarrassed just thinking about the amount of blank sheets I have. Seems like at least once a year someone remembers that I I have had a hankering to draw and invariably gets me a new drawing or sketchpad. Then I'm caught with a momentary fit of anxiety of what I'm going to do with this!?


I don't know what I was doing this afternoon are actually this morning the open door to my cabinet and saw this tablet, hanging out. Honestly, I been kind to searching for one of my tablets all week I have art pens on my desk in front of my computer screen and they always seemed to mock me about how much I'm not using them. I even imagined it threatening me that if I don't pick them up and start using them soon to go to dry out perhaps worse not dry out completely but be so faded that the really quite unusable because I like a bold black line when I draw. When I pulled out the tablet in question I realized that I've had this tablet for maybe 20 years. The cultural moment or two of frantic scribbling/drawing and then quietly put the pad away for however long it takes again before my motivation overcomes my fear of Mark making. In fact I think I'm going to take this giant step of pulling off all the pages that seem to a lost their perforation and are just hanging by the last couple of pieces of paper. Seriously, it will not be a great loss. The markings on these papers are pretty wild and unstructured and to some degree embarrassing. It's not like I've come a long way but I have an issue with getting rid of things I've created. And maybe that's the test am faced with now pulling off all the attempts at sketching an image making I've produced over the last 20 years and throwing them away and focusing on the pieces of sketch paper left and see if I can fill them out in the time I have left. I don't mean to make this a dark post. To be honest I don't have any kind of Intel about anything seriously happening with me or my body but the point is I'm 71 years old and there is a stop sign inside I just don't know how far in front of me it is but it's good to be ready in case in case someone has to makea quick stop.…

No comments: