Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Sweet To Eat!

 



I am not really but I like to think of myself as a licorice aficionado. And I'm so naïve I do not have a handle of how many different kinds of licorice there is, especially exotic kinds. But I do know what I like and I like Nibs which is a brand of licorice made by Twizzler. I don't know if Twizzler was the original producer of the small bite-size pieces of licorice I've only seen bags of the licorice now in stores for the first time.


I've always loved licorice I remember on trips up to Canada, as a kid, I would fortify myself with penny candy I found a different stores along the trip when we stop for gas or whatever. Licorice pipes, and licorice boot laces. The boot laces came in in both traditional black as well as red licorice which is either strawberry or cherry. I wasn't much for the red licorice but I did love the black licorice. There is also little black bears and you can always buy a rectangular pull part bar licorice which I can't seem to find much anymore at least not from Twizzler. There's another big candy brand that puts out licorice which they feel is similar to Nibs that there was no comparison to flavor – – in my estimation.


I really miss the penny candy section of stores like they used to have. Now the closest we have is the candy selections at like convenience stores like 7-Eleven. The price is so exorbitant I guess we should call it dollar candy. What kind of freaks me out as wells that depending on which island gets into at the market you can't buy just one candy bar one candy thing and no penny candy that's for sure. The candy section in the market is almost industrial size candies but you have to buy the whole packet which is kind of overkill. Twizzler's nibs used to come in small packages that you can buy for five cents which was enough to get you enough candy to get you through the afternoon of school following lunch break. That was still when you could buy candy from the candy machine at junior high and high schools, those are a thing of the past which is kind of a shame.


I also liked jaw breakers. I especially liked the red hots are the Atomic jaw breakers. These are great for fourth period Right after lunch. If you didn't get caught you can suck on that thing for half the class. The only problem was what made the jaw breaker atomic was its liberal use of cinnamon. Which would radiate from my mouth all over my section of the classroom totally alerting bottle in my classmates but also the teacher. Atomics and corn nuts were dead giveaways get yourself in trouble with a great way for the teacher to collect treats which I know she took home after confiscation. I noticed the other day they still are selling forms of sugar daddies – – caramel on a stick. Used to have a cousin called black cows but I haven't seen you then some time. The black cow might be out there for knows where to go but maybe they disappeared because the black cow was just not politically correct. Kind of sad but at least I have access to nibs for now…

No comments: