Wednesday, April 06, 2022

Bookmarks by Mark :-)

 



I don't try to keep a secret about liking to draw. I think I've written enough about wishing I could draw better than I do I even took an art class from the little committee college down the road from where I live. I know I've written post about making marks on paper's just something I'm driven to do. I should do more, a lot more especially at this point in my life. A couple of years ago accounted got this wild idea of doing “small” art. Art work that was my size. That class I was talking about, from the community college, was great but it was art for able-bodied people. I never realized how physical was to be an artist that was just amazing trying to drag my art bag back and forth to class. It was arduous and physically exhausting. I had a lot more admiration for art students after I finish that course and sadly, I'm not taking another since then. I should but I haven't. Maybe, I need to be happy with what I can do as opposed to what I could do. Maybe just a young man versus the old man argument. The artist should be an artist while you're young when you can physically handle such a challenge disability or not. When you get old , unless you're a Titan are persons of incredible strength on all levels, you don't want to start anything that new.


But I got in my head to draw bookmarks. I love to read and one of the things I always have a problem with is having a bookmark. I do that whole thing of bending to pages to Mark my place in the book when I'm reading and I hate bending the pages are turning the pages down even though I know the book cannot feel I just think it's a horrible thing to do to a page just because you didn't have anything the marketplace. So I started cutting bookmarks out of white cardboard that came the catheters I use great expanses of blank. I flatten the box cut off the ends and saved as much blank white space as I could which I then cut into flat pieces of cardboard that work excellent for marking pages. It was then I started playing with the idea of sketching scenes and portraits on these bookmarks. I was still in my donkey phase at the time and Dianne loved any of the donkeys that I made regardless of bookmark our whatever. Dianne really reinforced me on making these bookmarks.


Yesterday, Bridget was over with the gang to bring me some ideas on how to handle the chaotic wires in my life. I happen to have a couple of bookmarks laying on the floor from some which are escaped the bookmark box. They were somewhat intrigued with these bookmarks so I said hey dude who see more of course than my ego took over and shared with them my cigar box of bookmarks that I make. I have no other use for them – – I mean one can only use so many bookmarks with one book. So I make these bookmarks sometimes I sign and date them especially if I'm going to give them to someone – – now that is the height of ego. I like to believe that somewhere along the line after I'm gone these bookmarks keep filtering up someday someone will say “hey! I just got a Mark Smith 2021”. The become collectors items and validator's that I was once here on this dusty little planet in this dusty little galaxy in this dusty little universe…



thanks “B.” For the inspiration much love.

No comments: