Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Legacy

 



My Wednesday morning CNA was late and that's not really a big deal except for when I get things stacked up like this morning. Still having home nursing come in to change the dressing on my wounds three days a week. Since it's taking forever for this wound thing I'm into heel but I just have to be patient. Anyway, my CNA was late almost an hour which backs everything up then to make matters worse I couldn't poop the way are supposed to. Usually, after medication is administered plop plop fizz fizz there I go but not this day. Spooked, as my hour was concluding and no results, I was feeling pressed and worried. Thankfully Gloria, the CNA, basically was go to stick with me until I was done. Finally things begin to move and was able to get in the shower and out just as my home health nurse showed up and was kind a good to have them both working together. Gloria was working admirably try not to show her frustration and her need to get out of there in onto her next person. Anyway life goes on. It was during this time with both providers they asked how I was getting to my podiatrist appointment I told them going on the bus what else? Both staff both started going on about why was I using the transportation alternative for people with disabilities a.ka. Flex – Trans Salt Lake County's answer to paratransit . Like a knee-jerk reaction I launch into the whole lecture on the rights of disability folks to ride mainline transit with everybody else. I immediately stop myself because I said it all before, maybe not these two but to many many others.


Immediately apologized to both women but by then they both kind of understood what I was trying to say and actually be both seem somewhat impressed. It's hard for me to be impressed with what I've done and what I talk about, which seems and less. However telling this to fresh ears kind of makes me feel better. They both said they appreciated by input and that I should be proud what I've done and how I've worked to increase options of travel and housing for people disabilities in the Utah area. I forget sometimes what I've done or I tend to minimize the efforts of my work life. Sadly, I wish more options had arisen from the work that I did along with the work of so many others in the field of disability transportation and housing not only along the Wasatch front but in the USA itself. I don't think at the comfort but at this point in time in Utah/Salt Lake even if there was ample accessible housing know the people that I have served over the years to be able to afford the housing and that's not good what is good is that at least the able-bodied population cannot afford either.


My staff both use the words “legacy” in describing what I was leaving behind or have brought about in my small efforts of employment and change over the decades here in Salt Lake. I've not really thought about the “Mark Smith legacy” not that it really matters inconsequential or not. I choose to use the mainline transit system. The system that everyone can use. The buses are not only accessible to able-bodied people but also to people were seniors who have difficult time climbing and of course people used wheelchairs for transportation or even scooters. There's still a host of problems that face public transit. These problems are all behind the scenes these days whether it's dealing with drivers who don't want to service people with disabilities or take the time the hot biggest meter or mobility device a person can have and still ride public transit on the mainline. I assume there are probably a host of issues as well on the paratransit slide in this groups and committees which of been formed to assess and overcome these issues – – here I have to.roll my eyes and have to hold my tongue. Except only doing those things I can change and be responsible for as my legacy



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your legacy is much greater than you understand. Your work has made a difference in many people's lives. I am impressed by the contributions you have made.