Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Chatskis!

 



Remember yesterday when I had to head out in the middle of a snowstorm for my volunteer Assist, Inc. meeting? Kind of interesting and that the new folks, once you don't drink wine, I started taking over some of the that had been neglected by the prior administration. I think I've written about this room little bit already. The room is actually big enough for a board table (albeit a small one) and various chairs to sit. I'm pretty sure at first and foremost the space will be a break room button tell the current administration was kind of a storage room a place where computer systems, flat screens and rickety old file cabinets went to die. With those eyes and place it was only natural them to stick boxes of files, file folders and various three ring binders. Was easier just to shut the door and lose the space and the cleanup and have a little great room to meet in away from the chaos of the front office. Not that there's a whole Lotta chaos but still you don't I mean.


This room is pretty comfortable now that's been cleaned up, there's great light that comes in from Windows at the top of the room. I sat in the office the other day while waiting for my meeting to start. You'll remember that that's when I spotted the wine “dump”. We got into the meeting eventually I started noticing a number of file cabinets stacked in the corner. Beaten up rusty old steel file cabinets that for one reason or another have not been thrown away or recycled. Who knows they may have some value left in them somewhere. That's when I noticed stickers on one side of one of the file cabinets and as I looked closer I recognize the sticker. It was a magnetic sticker that highlighted the off-site used to run/manage: Access Utah Network! There were two stickers stuck to the side of the cabinet and the only way they could've gotten there was if I had stuck in their that one of the meetings over the last 30 years I've been in this town.


I remember getting these stickers or chatskis as one of my workmates called these little knickknacks, giveaway treasures so common at information fairs in the private nonprofit world. I think I'd gotten about 501 year and I thought they were pretty nice but was kind of hard to give away one can only have so many chatskis on the refrigerator or whatever middle surface you can find that a magnet will attach to. I think that last year I was in business with the state of Utah I still had about 150 of these things left in the magnets and other chatskis all went into the garbage before I left the building clean up my area. I took some stuff home more pencils than I care to think about as well as ballpoint pens all emblazoned with the name of the company and our phone numbers local as well as the 800 number. If I thought about too much a kind of broke my heart I just do everything you do box that came home with me thinking that we need a pencil I know where to get one. Of course these landed in the drawer with the other hundreds of pencils and ballpoint pens in the drawer that ended up being junk and trashed when the marriage fell apart when the house was sold and everything had to go the first of the the pens etc. I have to admit seeing the little stickers desperately clinging to the side of these old file cabinets only want my heart. I took one and only now feel guilty because I broke up the pair. There are probably married in some bizarre chatskis ritual myth out there going to be together forever released until they went to wherever discarded file cabinets go but I destroyed a happy little union just for my own pride I really do need see a counselor…

No comments: