Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Feel The Pressure

 



Kind of a busy day. It's Tuesday it's the other Tuesday so that means a trip in the Salt Lake for my Assist, Inc. meeting where I assist in the disbursement of funds to help seniors and people who are low income fix problems with their homes everything from replay/repair furnaces to widening doors and building ramps in the case of people who use wheelchairs and need access to their property. My involvement stems from myself being a person with disability and when I was working being a professional who works with people with disabilities in making sure their needs are represented which I did for decades actually with this organization. I'm so glad to still be doing this kind of work at least once or twice a month every other week.


The other major event of the day was meeting with by occupational therapist, Casey who are grown to really enjoy his company as well as his professional skills. Is able to do small things which greatly aid me in my goal for personal independence that nearly all costs. Today's meeting was the result of two months of forced pressure on medical professionals to produce the documents I needed to allow Casey to work on my case (if that was upon it was certainly not intentional). I'm just not that quick. Anyway, the appointment was at 4:20 PM so I had way more than enough time to get back to the apartment from downtown Salt Lake as well as allow me time to do my hour on the arm bike. In fact I was even able to do a little reading. So the day was a little productive. At least didn't spend the whole time watching Marvel movies.


We spent the time, Casey and his “shadow” third-year occupational therapy student from University of Utah school occupational therapy. Mapping my butt. This process is somewhat involved and today we made use of my hydraulic lift to pull me out of the chairs so that the student could put the mapping device, a rectangular piece of fabric with a zillion sensors that shows pressure areas on my butt when I sit on it, the fabric. Really quite interesting and lets me confirm that the press releases that I'm doing now are probably the best that I can do. I can actually totally relieve the pressure off by but from time to time throughout the day. This is a great piece of equipment to work with. I don't know Casey remembers but we had worked with it before but today was much more comprehensive I thought. And even more interesting was that I was able to call Casey's attention to my foot box and how they fabric was all bunched up making my foot sit where it as well as inspecting my cushion to make sure it was seated right in my chair and it has not been because the back of my chair has slid down pushing the cushion forward so I'm not getting the benefit of the cushy stuff in the chair which action protects my rear end. So, I think it would be okay as far as my cushion goes until we have to get another and Casey will work on fixing up the problems of my foot box so that I foot will no longer be angled funny and probably somewhat dangerous in the long run. The day wasn't necessarily perfect but it wasn't bad by a long shot…

No comments: