Thursday, May 19, 2022

Glory Days

 



We were supposed to have a meeting of the writers group today a.k.a. lunch with friends. The three of us but the last minute I got a call from one of the members indicating they bend exposed to Covid and that she was in self isolation would not be making the launch. I was kind of looking forward to the lunch today for no specific reason except just to bring people up to date so I was pleased when Jerry couldn't get a hold of me or rather I could not get a hold of Jerry was going to pick up the Covid person, Lori who did inform Jerry when he stopped to pick her up that I was still going to the lunch. So turned out to be just the guys lunch and that was quite fun.


Jerry and I've gotten quite comfortable with the concept of aging. I have to admit I really appreciate Jerry helped me along with the whole concept of getting old and in the relative near future passing on to whatever is next. I'm still a long ways from comfortable with the concept but it's easier and better to talk about, for me anyway, that it's ever been before. I'm still pretty gun shy of the subject and am ready to deploy “Shields up” when things start getting too spooky. Anyway, we had a great lunch discussed great things but eventually it was time to go. As always Jerry took care of the bill. I should've sprung for the tip the Jerry did that to and I let him. I noticed, when I entered the restaurant, the number of large motorcycles parked alongside the building. Big bikes and some three wheelers the kind I guess that aging bikers slide into wonder to frail or weak to upright motorcycle by themselves, agent to. Even though I twisted on a bike years and years ago I still am somewhat thrilled deep inside every time I see these huge bikes like coiled springs waiting to be energized and taken out on the road almost wishing there were some way I could climb back on “the horse” take off on a day when the wind blows a new storm into the area. When I left the restaurant and heading home I wanted to get a closer look at these bikes just for my own personal gratification as I was heading towards the end of the sidewalk to where the bikes for parked I noticed to bikers have a cigarette before heading out on the road. These were obviously their bikes and I swear they're given me the evil eye as I rolled towards the parked machines. I know I didn't offer any kind of a threat to these guys of all but I felt that I should just keep on rolling by the motorcycles like I wasn't interested. I don't know why felt so intimidated but I did. I briefly looked at the bikes as I passed but when I was around the corner right turned around and took a picture with my cell phone. I looked tonight just before writing this update it didn't seem as menacing, as motorcycles go as I remember when I took the image, just motorcycles that aging bikers using searching for their glory days…

No comments: