Monday, May 02, 2022

Good Old Miss Shannon

 



I just got back from dinner. We had dinner at Wendy's because the little Mexican restaurant we wanted to go to actually closes at 7 PM. We are out late (for us anyway) we gone to a recital! Seriously a real live recital.


A couple of days ago when Gabriel , Bridget and Asher brought over dinner and we went upstairs to the theater room to eat Bridget was interested in a poster on the wall advertising a recital for tonight. In my own pathetic way I blew off the whole situation indicating that often music majors who have to find a place or have to have so many recitals in order to graduate from their particular program often have a recital at our facility to meet one of those requirements. Typically, at least I think so, they are usually poorly attended. Most of the residents at the facility don't give a flip about musical recitals (is that redundant?). Maybe, I'm projecting my feelings on to the poor individuals at this facility that don't typically attend these free functions. Anyway, I noticed a Bridget seem to be interested in the more he thought about the whole situation the more thought you know what it would not hurt me to attend this recital and invite Bridget and family to attend with me. It might be a fun thing to do. And you know what? It was.


When I was a kid I can't remember if I wanted to play an instrument or that my parents/mother wanted me to play an instrument all I know was that for three dreadful years I tried to learn the accordion. I don't know how my older sister left her 120 base accordion at the house but I found it and decided that's what I should play. We always had a piano around the house and I halfheartedly tried to play it and it never took why do I think a piano upside down on my chest to make anything different. Anyway, I think once or twice the place that I took what accordion lessons at had a recital night and of course the church that I attended always had one or two nights a year where local talent in the Ward could play and I ended up always having to trudge through a musical piece in front of people which I hated. I would get so nervous I couldn't stand it. So I am totally impressed when I go to a thing like tonight a recital in 10 to 15 little kids troop up and blast out something I think is somewhat remarkable. They truly did have self assurance and they just plowed through their pieces of music. Interesting, the host of the event a lady named Shannon and I think that's the last name. I think she is the teacher of all these kids who produced tonight. You can tell she loves music, she loves the play the piano which is excellent! I'm sure she's the Ward musical talent. Each one of these individuals except for her own children but I believe there are three who had pieces that they played I'm sure pay for the time that Miss/sister Shannon teaches the kids music and not only music how to perform and how to perform graciously. From walking up and announcing the piece they are going to play to the bow our curtsy and the bow that's given at the end of the piece as they walk off “stage left”. I mean there were little kids probably five and up starting off with piano pieces and some violent places that I think would intimidate older kids and they pulled it off just fine. The finale of the show was an adolescent dressed to the nines playing a piece I think of Bacher Beethoven or Tchaikovsky or one of the other big guys and he pulled it off magnificently. I think he may have been a high school or something maybe a senior hopefully he'll continue his musical training wherever he ends up going next bill always be able to say he got his start with Ms. Shannon.



No comments: