Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Little g God

 


Don't you just hate it when you find out that your gods have clay feet? Don't mean the big guy the G God talking about the small G God in this case management of the apartment complex where I live. And really does probably know really big deal but still, got me scratch my head.


I believe I briefly mentioned the smokers group, a group of pariah residents who smoked nightly if not all day off and on in different sections of the complex as long as a 25 feet away from the door. This basically means the do a lot of their smoking in the parking lot. I guess I've become a qualified member of this group just because they are all younger than the whole group of folks here that seem to be dying weekly. Anyway, last night we were talking and somehow the height of my kitchen cabinets came up. Us trying to explain to him how my cabinets were lower because I was in “wheelchair accessible unit”. Vicki one of the group members indicated she understood because she knew somebody in the other accessible unit. I knew there was another one is even stated that when they were doing some work on my apartment couple summers ago. What I didn't know was that the apartment manager got so frustrated at not finding another wheelchair person to put in this unit that she had the unit remodel for an able-bodied person! Which I think is totally stupid yes I know it can be greatly frustrating trying to find the right person. So effectively, this facility which had only 2 accessible units now hasjust one and I'm in it don't plan to move until they carry me out with pennies on my eyes.


As a housing coordinator, which I was for many years, I knew how few accessible properties were available in this community and then to consciously take some away seems unconscionable. And I'm on the Board of Directors of this outfit was my responsibility? Sadly, I have to admit I don't want to rock the boat because this is where I live. And I really like the manager of this property that understand your frustration and I know that she actually did really search for these people I just don't know why she couldn't find them or why they couldn't find us. I don't know if the local Independent living Center even has a housing coordinator anymore. I don't see a lot of evidence that they do that they do have a housing coordinator he/she doesn't seem to be doing much of a job. Granted, this community has had skyhigh rental rates and everything else and the availability of low-income housing is at a critical level and what low income housing they do have is almost impossible to get. And just low income housing waiting lists himself are literally years long. So I know I certainly got my needs met 90% being in the right place the right time and the other 10% being connected to this operation. I truly hope I can keep all the gods appeased to make sure that I've got a place to live both the big G and the little “g” gods…

No comments: