Wednesday, July 20, 2022

One More Thing…




I'm only going to take partial responsibility for the minor crisis I find myself in this evening. My chair went from being uncomfortably broke or kind of broke to really broke. Left side of my chair I mean the arm of my chair is hooked into the seat of my chair with this long piece of metal that sits in a housing that is secured by a little plastic knob. I had Alan my wheelchair tech come and look at it last week because the piece was not locking right as well as a key portion of the arm piece came undone was sliding up and down one of wheelchair pieces and not doing what it was supposed to do. I rely heavily on the arms of my chair particularly to pull myself up to an upright position. I know that's not what they were designed for that's what I'm using them for and I need to have them secure yet at the same time I have to be able to undo that securing point to be able to lift the side of the arm up so I can transfer is out of bed. This was never a problem in the old days when the arms were pretty straightforward not a whole lot to go on without but now as you see the piece I have listed are imaged as a numerous movable parts and I think a lot of it has to deal with where the assembly sits on the arm which has to be tightened securely by wheelchair mechanic or somebody knows what they're doing with the screwdriver and have good hands. When Alan, my tech, came out the other day he informed me that whatever was wrong was beyond his ability to fix out in the “field” and I would have to call the shop to schedule a time to have my chair picked up. I hate doing this even if I have a great backup chair it's not this chair which I've really gotten used to. So I didn't get to calling the shop until this morning.


My 1st reaction to what happened this morning as Gloria was lifted me in and out of the power chair or something and somehow the arm got caught and snapped completely off the main chair. I doubt this had anything to do with the problem with the loose padding on the arm of the chair but certainly a accelerated my call into the shop. I could not get my chair picked up any earlier than next Thursday. The way the arm broke off of the armrest basically allowed me to carefully lift the the part that broke off which are still kind of fast the chair and then rest the top or arm rest on top of it. This actually worked to a certain degree but then the middle please Falling off the chair. Something is going to have to be done. Luckily today was one of those days that Ted had maintenance guy was that are building. In desperation I rolled into the office for he was talking with the building manager of asking fee could possibly fix this to a certain point of usability. Sure enough he got a hold of a roll of that gray tape I think is called duct tape and did what he called a “redneck hack” and I swear I almost don't want to give the chair because Ted did such a great job. It feels solid that works the way it's supposed to and I don't think it's going to break anytime soon. Sigh, but I'm going to be responsible and try to get the thing fixed are exposed to be fixed which I think is just going to lead to more issues down the line. I'm trying to stay within the lines, tag up every base and do things the right way and then hope for the best. I have to give the chair up in a week. I do have a really good backup chair is as good as this chair except for that chair does not have the “elevator” function which I've really grown to like. Things will work out they always do…

No comments: