Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Thin Man

 


it's Tuesday which means today was my meeting downtown and Assist, Inc. the volunteer advisory board I have been part of for literally decades. This is the advisory board that signs off on multiple and various contracts that the organization gets to provide rehabilitation for various housing projects for people who are low income seniors and folks with disabilities to make a more accessible. Like I said I been part of this project for at least 30 years and all we've ever done was approved housing rehab grants. I've always felt we could more for the agency. There is times after I retired and I felt that I need something to do or want somethings to do I volunteered to keep the office open one for one reason or another staff would have to be at conferences, meetings or other types of reasons to take them out of the office. I don't know the old style didn't trust me to be in the office myself to answer phones and such or they just didn't think it was that important. However the new administration seems to be a bit more forward thinking which is kind of exciting. Andrea's, who is the main guy that we work with testing of my suggestions volunteering to answer the phones, sit at tables during information fairs also literature as well as maybe talk about the good points of the organization at CDBG hearings when trying to make sure that the grants come in. We have a number of hearings across the County they have to present at during fundraising time. At today's meeting after we got through with rough requests Andreas indicated that he would be very interested in doing so this awareness exercises.


I don't know how all some of this would be what I do now is that many of these CDBG hearings are after-hours going into the evening. I would be a little concerned about transportation to some of these events. Answering the phone at the office are sitting at the office at the front desk reading folks would be easy on no problem there but some of your stuff might be a bit more challenging. At least we are talking about ways to increase our visibility in the community that can't be bad. I am more than willing to do what I can for the program.


So between what I may have got myself involved with my apartment complex with the Thursday morning coffee social and the possibility of increasing my level of volunteerism Assist, Inc. may have got my self a mouthful options to keep myself busy this coming summer. I still have to meet with the new director of the independent living Center as well as understand over Art Access. Really wants to do this don't want it to them to the point of invisibility(

No comments: