Sunday, January 22, 2017

FNG


I just  came down from upstairs  at the apartment complex where I picked up the newspaper from my new friend Irene.  I  ran into Irene yesterday as I was washing clothes. I was surprised to find her waiting for her son to take her to the airport she was flying to Wyoming to be with her 98 year old sister who had just lost her husband  and did not want to be alone. Irene asked if I would pick up her Sunday paper since she was not going to be here exact did not know when she was going to be back. she even brought down some frozen foods and eggs!
Irene is 84, she's a young 84, she drives a little van everywhere and takes care of herself very well actually much better than I. I don't know why I was sort of drawn in the first couple days I was was at the apartments.  Irene is one of the regulars at the Thursday coffee group. She really sits with the group and spends most of her time making coffee, serving the  participants and cleaning up the kitchen area. She Bowles and is quite active driving around the community during the day I rarely see her.  as I said she has any for what makes her about 20 years older than me it's just sort of interesting. I mention that I was a bit embarrassed when she brought the food down that my apartment was such a mess and she said that she would help me clean it up when she got back whenever she got back from carrying for her sister which sure perked my ears up.
This past month a couple of new folks of has moved in which means I am no longer the new guy. Actually I am still a new guy but feel like I'm an old guy here at the apartments. I am amazed that I've only been here nearly three months. It seems like forever sometimes. I'm getting the people though they seem to the accepting me which is good at least for me. I'm beginning to put faces to names I know where people live in the facility. I'm still surprised at how many people I will see during the week I don't recognize that have been here all  long.  This place is really not all that big  and I would like to get to know more people over the next couple weeks and months which I am sure I will. but for the time being it's great not to be the funny new guy or FNG.

No comments: