Sunday, January 15, 2017

Options



In the Community room or the great room is what  I call it at the apartment complex where I live we have a shelf are window into the kitchen where people who have things to donate / get rid of leave and other folks desiring can pick them up. I have picked up quite a bit of  good food.  I have snatched things like juice, flour even milkgranted it was boxed milk but still pretty good stuff. and some bread. This morning there was even a pair of shoes  go figure? .  Actually there's a pile of stuff  I think because yesterday wae Food Bank day. I've noticed after food bank day that there seems to be a lot of canned goods and such at the window. Especially things from USDA government commodities. Not like they used to be, when I was working at The Independent Living Center, but still federalized American food. The canned vegetables that show up are the usual the kind of stuff which you still in the plastic bags that come from the food bank  those bags you fill with all the food you don't necessarily want around the house anymore: green beans, carrots  and mixed vegetables. there's piles of them but if I'm not done in a day or so I'm going to take a couple of them I don't mind can vegetables sometimes they really help in casseroles.
I'm always amazed at people who complain in particular people who are low income and complain. Number of folks sit around here and complain aboug materials which areprovided Food Bank. I had heard this happens but I had never really  experienced  these complaints . As many of you know, I spent a good deal of time working with the food bank in procuring some of this  material . In fact I was not surprised  when  I've heard some of the folks  indicating  that  they would not go stand out in the cold  inline  waiting for the food bank open .  The food was not worth it . I agree to a point  Alot of the food is throw away food but still , food is food when your low income you're always looking for something to eat. The scouts would often come around our neighborhood to collect these bags of food would stick a can of stew are tamales or Kipper snacks some of my favorites in the sack hopefully thinking someone would really like this item .

Food is food I'm thankful for all of it subsidized or not. hope the others keep dropping off options.

No comments: