Thursday, January 05, 2017

Like A Student Again


I just spent two good hours on the phone with Salt Lake Community College(S L C C) or Slick. This is the institution of higher learning just a block away from my apartment complex that I am entertaining the thought of audio a class tthis spring semester beginning Monday. I have been trying to matriculate into this program the last month but have been thwarted by the end-of-the-year holidays.. Now, that I have finally gotten registered and set up on the Internet and gone through orientation via the Internet I find the class that I wanted is full and my only option is to get my name on the waiting list. So, pretty much I guess I will not be doing an art class this spring as I had intended. However the experience itself was quite a bit of learning. I know how it would be different next semester but might be worth a shot. I guess one of the questions I have is how fair is it that a person like me – – old and disabled – – that wants to the audit class would take up one of the seats in that class from a hard cash paying individual?and I wonder if the fact that I have my own chair i.e. my power chair should make a difference particularly since I'm just auditing the course.


So now I have got myself on the waiting list I must check into that list twice a day to see if anyone else has checked out. And right now I find the process of checking in quite intimidating. I actually have to do the whole thing via the computer/my computer and find my way back to the “add/backdrop” class page which took a lot of direction from the person on the other in the phone and patience I might add. Just an aside – – I see myself more and more as this addld senior who cannot even figure out how to register for a class online. I've had this feeling many times over the last week while on campus and on the phone talking to different IT folk. When someone does check out and my name comes up I will be able then to become part of the class. On top of that I must show up for class the first meeting of the class and visit with the instructor to see if she would be willing to let me out of the class. Wow, this is a lot of stuff out of one class I suppose it would be worth it where it able to pan out. Now there are other classes being talked at other locations that they are like at 7 AM in the morning and another part of town which I just don't see any way of making. Part of the whole idea of going to SLCK is the convenience to my apartment complex. So, next week regardless of snow I'm going to show up for class at 9 AM see if I can push myself in. This is great I already feel like a student again.

No comments: