Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Trust and a Back--up Plan !!



I do not know what I'm going to do. This afternoon after I've gotten home from my trip downtown to attend weekly board meeting I was cleaning up apartment of little bit. I had a bag for the trash that I need to take to the dumpster so I zipped out the back door roaring up to the dumpster and got rid of the trash. I was headed back into the Apartments my chair lurched to a stop everything on the control box with dead no lights at all! This is the first time that I remember this happening, a complete system failure. There are some things totally disabling about a power chair instantly dying. you realize immediately just how easily disabled you are. Not only can you yourself physically not move neither can the chair. And what is  more, had not planned to stay out any longer than I have to so I had no protection against the cold. I'm at least the switch back and forth hopefully thinking that whatever was wrong with the chair this will correct it did not. I had to get out of the cold weather the only thing I can figure out was calling the resident advisor, my friend Jim. Jim was home I was so glad I need assistance and he was on his way.

When Jim got out to the dumpster with me, explain to him how to disengage the clutches on my chair which allowed me to Freewheel. he did so and managed to push me back into my apartment which is no small feat for someone who is still healing from a hip replacement. Luckily I was in the apartment which  was warm. Again, let me explain that plays you're in the chair that runs on power and the power is gone, you're nothing more than a paper weight. You just sit there and you have to figure out what to do next. I keep a power charger in my room next to the TV with the idea that I can sit and watch television as I charge my chair. I did not even think I knew I  had a problem. Jim on the other hand push me right over to the charger and we plugged in and sure enough that's reset the chair and everything was back to normal.

I was out all over the city today. This power failure could have happened anywhere. I don't know what happened if it can happen again. This really rattles my face in my power chair. I have course call Alpine Medical when I got in and related the problem to them it says the soon as they can take me to examine my chair and the problem is a week from tomorrow, the 8th day of February! So I'm going to run on faith until then...that's all I can do. One possible bright spot in this whole possible mess is one of the techs who called be back related that there is a reset button on the base of my chair. The tech felt that when  we plugged the chair into the charger, that action reset my chair. So, if this happens again between now and next Wednesday all I got to do is get someone to press this magic button.

I am not sure what this intermittent stopping means but I sure know through stopping sure shakes by faith in my and myself.  I am sure the stopping is an indicator of  something more severe. Even if the stopping is repairable what am I  going to do if they have to have the chair for an extended period of time? I better start figuring out a back up plan.

No comments: