Wednesday, December 23, 2020

A Tale Of To Glass Houses

 


One of my favorite excursions each Christmas season is my journey to the local Glasshouse or state liquor store. Where the minor blessings I experienced moving to the Taylorsville area, on Redwood Road, was the fact that the bus line has 15 minute service on weekdays and stops right by the Sizzler on about 3500 South Redwood Rd. which by chance is also on the same block as the state liquor store. Making the Redwood Road liquor store, very easy access.


For longest time I didn't imbibe however, during the second marriage I began and with that began my trips to the liquor store usually around the holiday season. My partner in the second marriage introduced me to serious drinking, the kind you would use a liquor store for. Fortunately however she did most of the purchasing and I rarely visited the store myself. However in the last marriage we still rarely use liquor but would get a bottle now and then usually at the Christmas time and usually from the Murray liquor store. This is when I would usually pick up whatever we were going to use. And I was so impressed the first Christmas that I went to the liquor store I found true Christmas spirit (excuse the pun). I'm sure I have written about this visit somewhere in this blog. The folks in that store were just happy. I mean, slap your fellow patron on the back happy wishing them a Merry Christmas even though you seem to only see them this time a year, at the liquor store. Most totally surprised Been blown away at the amount of liquor people were purchasing. They are actually filling their trunks completely and some were actually filling the backs of their pickup trucks. I am so naïve even now. In my experience in any given holiday season to just one liquor store in Utah multiply this by all the liquor stores in Utah or Idaho and then United States and then the world! Holy cow. I guess I must consider that in some locales outside the state of Utah people to actually purchase liquor and wine at grocery stores. How civilized is that? I was quite surprised when I returned to the liquor store after a five or 10 year hiatus and found that they no longer sold many bottles. But still .kind of bums me out as many times are really need is a couple ounces I don't need a whole bottle. So anyway, I was just totally impressed at how happy a place the memory liquor store was.


In contrast my trip to the Redwood Road liquor store, still an adventure: was not as happy my previous trips in the Murray facility.. I'm even surprised at how juvenile I was when I told the bus driver as I off the bus I was headed to the Sizzler steakhouse and even rolled into the parking lot to give the impression that that's where I was headed. On entrance to the Glasshouse everyone it seemed turned look at me like a stranger coming into Long branch saloon From Gunsmoke. If there'd been a honky-tonk piano playing in the background it would've stopped. But rolled straight forward saying hi to number two people ended up at fine wines at the back. But I guess it only makes sense there are a lot of minority folks in this building. The lot of folks on cell phones wandered around. A lot of couples and need a lot of kids I mean like toddlers and older. One mother kept having to put bottles of hard liquor away that one kid kept bringing up to her. I'm sure a lot of labels look very attractive. My experience at the store was just different. I never did find the eggnog by myself and had to ask one the store personnel who fell below the very tiptop of the shelf. I spent the next 15 minutes in line, a very long line waiting to get out so I could go home and begin my Christmas celebrations…


No comments: