Thursday, December 10, 2020

Mr. Tambourine Man

 



Del Taco has been running an ad recently for holiday tamales. I don't know when I developed a taste for this Hispanic delicacy I'm sure it began how I was in the service of' Neighborhood Help Services and as the holidays Came closer the Signoras brought our lunch every dayThey started including tamales. Handmade wonders wrapped in corn husks I love them. So when the local Hispanic fast food joint started advertising tamales I wanted to check them out and today I did.


I was all set to stay home today and actually cook. The apartment still looks pretty clean thanks to Melanie and for one reason or another I been jonesing for cookies. I usually have cookies in my little cookie box/container that either get from food bank are breakdown and purchase of the market I have not done either lately so I began ruminating about making a batch of cookies. With today being overcast today felt like a perfect day for cookies. The took forever to find the oats. I knew I had some but couldn't find them directly. Melanie's been doing such a good job of putting my apartment in order sometimes I think she gets a bit carried away but eventually I found the rolled oats. I knew I had some. I read the back of the container – – there is always a recipe for some form of oatmeal cookies on the back of the container even if it's not Quaker. Looks like I had everything except for shortening which I thought rather bizarre because I've never out of shortening. I mean I have one can of had it for some time. I use it mainly when I make cookies so it's only a couple times a year. But I cannot find anywhere level time low in the apartment so I figured okay it's a day to go over to the market. And I plan to hold myself very securely not overspend. I just needed shortening. As near as I can figure I have all the other ingredients I need even walnuts and raisins. Even though it looked cold I knew it was a perfect day for traveling in my chair.


You all remember I'm operating a chair that's questionable as far it's batteries are concerned. At only got about 3/10 of a mile this morning so I figured I had met charge to make it there and back again. So as a treat I took off. As I came to the intersection, across the street there is a individual that look like a tambourine Man but without the tambourine. He was animated standing at the corner making contact or trying to make contact with drivers as they came up to the stoplight to make a right turn or left turn just to turn. I don't know of using imploring them to provide him with a donation. When he was animated almost dancing each time the light turned. Across the street and I went past him I said “hi” and he responded “Hi” back. I could see he was startled will think anybody else had acknowledged his presence today. I zipped past admitted to Del taco. To my dismay it was no in-house dining but you could order and pick your order up and leave. At least I didn't have to rely on the drive-through. I was committed so I ordered two tamales for four dollars deal (which I don't think the deal at all but hey it's Christmas). I was curious as to what or how the tamales would come but they came not a small size novel large-size but I guess just the right size wrapped in tin foil. You got love anything that comes wrapped in tin foil especially if it's warm in my tamales were warm. Of course they stuck both tamales in the sack which just junk I have to get rid of. But, I decided rather than taking my two tamales back to the apartment (which would have to wait until after I finished shopping for shortening at the market) I would eat my tamales just outside the door before the door to the outside. I ate my first tamale and thought to myself why not give this to Mr. tambourine Man. I really didn't need to tamales actually I needed the good karma more. I finished wolfing down my treat them took off for the market. As I came to the intersection I greeted Mr. tambourine Man with a smile and handed him my bag. Mr. tambourine Man of course was confused at first but I said look I have a tamale inside and it's still warm. He looked at me and said “you need to have this” I think you saw me as more deserving competition than him but I assured him I was fine that I've had one tamale and I wanted him to have this one. He was delighted, confused and I could tell humbled. He said he did not have anything to give me for the tamale but I told him I didn't want anything but he insisted to give me something so he gave me a short story probably a parable but I could not understand him really except for whatever he was telling me delighted him probably as much as the food. I nodded my head as people do when confronting someone whose language they don't understand the just trying to accept. He finally finished his tale and I left actually feeling pretty darn good. It was then I realized I've experienced my first Christmas miracle of the season and suddenly the whole season changed as I got ready for Christmas…


PS when I bolted from my apartment over to the market I didn't even think to take my cell phone because it was going to be a just there and back again experience so I didn't get a picture of Mr. tambourine Man that I wish I had and I still may find one or get one if you still there on other days…

No comments: