Friday, December 18, 2020

Ain't Getting Any Younger

 


I cannot believe I've been at this place four years now – – I'm going into my fourth Christmas at Plymouth view Apartments. I guess that makes this my home may be my last home. I always marvel at how strange things are at the beginning and how they change. When the personalities I was most intrigued with when I moved in here was a big guys wherever one called “Jimmy”. There were two gyms here at the facility then one was part of the resident assistants and one was Jimmy. It was a big guy and Jimmy speaks the Brooklyn accent. He seems to always wear Levi's and a black T-shirt and puts very peculiar, least of my view is that he's always carrying a copy of the Wall Street Journal. I thought he was some Wall Street Mogul. He seemed like a nice guy with the limits. He attended the Thursday coffee group off and on but didn't really participate. Jim is going deaf or has been going deaf since I've known him. As one of the few males at this facility we tended to bond, kind of, sort out of necessity.


Over the course of the years I've gotten to know that 1.Jimmy does not like to be called “Jimmy” he likes Jim. I believe the women at this apartment complex is somewhat intrigued by Jim and they tend to push their brand of familiarity on the guy by trying to psychological castrate him or reduce them to a child with the child's name Jimmy. Somehow I believe this makes him less frightening for a lot of the ladies here. Jim is pretty much brushed it off knowing he's never going to change. I still don't know exactly what he's done in his life for an occupation. Like I indicated earlier he speaks with a Brooklyn accent I had this vision him being some kind of a longshoreman working the streets in the Hells kitchen being the young top in New York city. He was there when the the towers fell (I think I've written about this before somewhere in the early blogs). He wasn't near the catastrophe but he was in the city when it happened – – for some reason this impresses me. We've gotten to know each other over the years not close by think we like each other, we respect each other and tolerate each other maybe because we don't get into each other's business very much. Perhaps that's best


Yesterday, I was heading out to go get my batteries, pre-snowstorm, before I left the building are rolled up to the front to check my mail. Jim was waiting at the door. I thought someone was coming to pick him up for lunch or something and I made comment as much but no, Jim is waiting for the truck from RC Willey department store. He was having a reclining easy chair delivered. I was impressed. Then shared with me he had a $1600 mattress delivered last week. He then added he was getting a big screen TV after the holidays. I asked him if he'd done well in Wendover (local gambling Mecca two hours to the West Salt Lake just over the border in Nevada) or something. Jimmie smiled and said no. He said he had a little money he's been holding onto said he recently realized it was pretty stupid and that he didn't spend it soon he may not have a chance (Jimmy's a good 80 years old if not older if, I am a day).in fact that's what he said,"I figure I'd better spend it all I got it I ain't getting any younger"…

No comments: