Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Christmas Box

 




What a beautiful day to be out and about. Today I had lunch with my old buddy Dennis Ward, of written about Dennis before were from the same ecclesiastical grouping oddly enough referred to as a ward. We were supposed to have this lunch earlier in the week but because of a host of things we postponed until the day and it was perfect. We had lunch at Dee's restaurant a family restaurant chain in Utah. I like the place a lot of my colleagues don't for some reason I've never figured out why unless it's political. Dee's does cater to a fairly conservative crowd. The staff is old home types, the juices call you “Honey” when they take your order and they charge you coffee by the cup and not the carafe is a do across the street at the rival place Village Inn. Actually I think I've written about this before so enough said. I just enjoyed getting out and hanging around other folk.


I was feeling pretty good literally no pain in my butt and for the first time in a couple weeks I did not feel it risk powering my chair the couple blocks to get to the restaurant. Before I left the apartment I called UATP office and found I could actually procure a couple of batteries for my chair at substantially less price than I could for my wheelchair shop. I've been kind of worried but I felt I could cover the expense even with Christmas. I'm grossly limited on how far he can range during the day or night. Now is spending all my time charging my chair. I'll be going into theUATP shop and have them install the batteries in my chair. I'm kind of excited now I can start the process of ordering my new chair six months earlier than I anticipated. I did get approval from the insurance company that they would purchase new batteries for my chair but it were interested in my wait time six months before I could commence the process for ordering a new chair for that far ahead in the game… Christmas miracle number two.


Interesting enough when I got home there is a box in front of my apartment door. The Christmas box and oddly enough from UATP. I sit on their advisory board I have done so for years. There was the last state type agencies that provide a lunch at our meetings that we have four times a year. Traditionally, U ATP provided the board with a pretty nice Christmas present. And you all know how shallow I am lunches and holiday tributes guide my altruistic involvement in volunteer programs. I was expecting nothing this year since we did not in person due to the Covid 19 pandemic. I just figured the annual Christmas gift would not be happening so imagine my excitement when I saw the return address be in Logan Utah or Utah State University where U A T P originates. I really have no protocols as far as holding a package from a state agency until Christmas morning. I find this especially true when the gift is from a government agency. I immediately got the package on the table in my kitchen and opened it up and it was a nice little grab box of what looks like a state tourist package for Logan Utah. Pecan bar, chocolate Christmas tree, plain chocolate, many mixed nuts salted a very nice gift of calories and joy. I probably should have waited but I sampled some of the salted nuts watching volume 2 Guardians Of The Galaxy G O TG. Pretty excited to have this little treasure trove to feast on little by little all through Christmas season…

No comments: