Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Rock And Roll New Year's Eve




Today I'm hunkering down. Thus the term I have heard used three times on the radio today rather than go out this weekend celebrate the new year everyone from the governor on down the same just hunker down and I soon that just means stick about a new apartment, house or whatever and make as little contact as possible at least in person . Since I one out yesterday and did pretty good with finding cards, thank you cards and I have just about everything I need for a great New Year's. I should be okay. I might make a fast run tomorrow for some chips of one sort or another but I even have half a box of stat crackers I got for Christmas left. I wouldn't mind having some Canadian or bourbon, Scotch or something dark but I can get by on the spirits I have which are clear and white (yes I still have three quarters of a bottle of eggnog). Not looking to do anything you don't like drinking alone so okay maybe disappearance sit there to get by until the new year arrives, if I survive that long.


I never have been one for New Year's celebrations. New Year's to me as somewhat white Halloween especially if you have to be outside like at the space in downtown Salt Lake where the celebration is outdoors and people just wander around all my night until the New Year's. It's cold. Will not be a downtown celebration this year however/course due to the Covid. See first paragraph of this post. Those that go obviously are not hunkering down as our leaders would like. I think one of the best New Year's eve celebrations I ever attended in the “before time” was a little joint called the Bar and Grill across the Street from the old downtown Sears. The person I was married to at the time was visiting her children in Los Angeles over the holiday season. I was left on my own. I don't know what got me out because, like I said are rarely go out on New Year's Eve. One of my friends, was also quadriplegic wheelchair but had a wheelchair van picked me up and we drove to downtown Salt Lake on New Year's Eve. What to give that don't quite remember how I found this dive except that it was around the corner from where my office was in those days I often wondered about what went on there one day I found out that I kept going back the B & G was quite a fun place. Kerry Pedderson was the leader of the Gamma Rays and somehow taken a liking to me. After all I was the only gimp who would go out and dance on the floor in their wheelchair. New Year's Eve he was drinking that cough medicine alcohol referred to as Jagermeister . Greg quad friend got pretty well smashed and of course could not drive homeand I was not about to drive Greg's van, long story short Kerry drove us home I still cannot believe it. What a cool thing to do. I don't think he was afraid that we're going to get nailed or have an accident and then Gamma Rays would be blamed, Kerry took care of us . Kerry drove us and Greg's van dropped me off and dropped Greg off after working all night playing rock 'n roll at the bar.


Of course the Bar and Grill is long gone as is the Sears across the street. Actually the Gamma Rays every once in a while gets together and will play for an evening at some barbecue joint or something. I try to get out when I can. Kerry always remembers me that makes me feel good especially this night night before New Year's Eve 2021…


No comments: