Saturday, December 05, 2020

Just A Little Touch… That's All



I wish it had more to write about this Saturday night but I just didn't have anywhere to go today and not the desire either. I didn't even go across the street for supplies to get me past Sunday (I don't like going to the market on Sunday if I don't have to I will do it but I don't like it). Truth be told, I don't need anything I've got more than enough to get me through a 24-hour period to Monday. So today I just stayed in, spent little time working on the apartment, cryptograms and pondering whether or not to the wash. I chose not to wash because of the time I was most likely all the units were being used and that was just enough impetus to let me wait till Monday to wash my clothes. I'm not sure if the pandemic is really beginning to sink in on me but I really miss my neighborhood movies. They are open for week a few months ago and then there is the second shutdown and I think that was it for the theater. I don't know if they'll ever come back the only hope that I have is that another theater group purchases the property and once the vaccines are made available in life slowly comes back online that the property will once again screen movies. The place is really quite a movie palace, relatively new the theater has numerous screens. And best of all the theater just up the street from my apartment complex. If I really believed in my chair, and I don't right now, I have actually take a couple buses over the State Street go to the 33rd St. movies. Last I heard, those theaters are still open and even the countercultural screens downtown what do they call them? Art films is another term but I can't pull it out right now. But that would really be a significant time investment, travel challenge and risk for the power chairman right now unless of course I drug my charger with me and charged while I watched the movies. I've done that before and of his is an somewhat awkward it allows me to feel like I'm going to be able to get there and back again. So I guess I could have done something if I really want to but it's just easy to stay at the apartment. It's a real shame because I see myself becoming more and more of a shut in– – I know that makes you sound pathetic and almost a cliché but it's kind of true. I have everything I need in my little apartment I could just isolate my way to total invisibility.


There are people in my life who desperately need people. There is a radio program broadcast out of our local community radio network broadcast from the University. The shows called Radio West, Doug Fabrizio is the host and really does a good job for local market show. I think it's loosely patterned after This American Life. Today's program was on touch or the need for touch. I only heard bits and pieces but it sounded pretty interesting. I think I'll go back and listen to the whole thing next time I'm on my arm bike for the 50 minute pump. It seemed that is a species we need touch whether it's a slap on the back, the handshake or good old hug. We don't have those now and there's some thought we all might be going back to the wired monkey mothers.


No comments: