Sunday, November 14, 2021

Altered Carbon Dad – – A C D

 



This afternoon (Utah time) my daughter Shelley was married to James and quite a interesting wedding. When I say interesting I mean these two really went out of their way to include me in the ceremony. There was some chat about me actually attending the Hoo rah in Salem Oregon but the bottom line is I just cannot travel anymore we started not think so. To be honest I did not explore the option to much which maybe I should have. It looks like they certainly had a good time. How do I know this because I actually gave my daughter away to James and marriage. I did the whole dad thing which I've never done before the least in the marriage ceremony department. As always beginning to say we explored options about me being there but from travel, to lodging to toilet in showering I just don't know how we can hold off even with Mark helping. We don't have a wheelchair van, even flying would have to get around there once I got Salem. I don't know options as far as accessible transit goes if there is any at all. Anyway, I was more than a bit interested in Mark Anthony and Shelley came up with the idea that I could be there virtually which of course is always an option. I mean I could certainly watch the thing from a distance but Shelley had be participating up front and personal. I was actually going to walk my daughter down the aisle.


It took a little bit of thinking but not very much. With the help of my tablet and somebody's iPad/tablet in Salem we figured we would use the baby of the family, Charlie, who would act as my golem and hold the iPad in Salem which would be broadcasting an image of me herein Taylorsville. Charles would walk down the aisle holding me holding Michelle's arm and I'd vicariously be the dad traditionally given away the daughter and by golly it worked. I have to admit it felt a little weird.I felt like a scene from Altered Carbon A television series about cyberpunk about individuals who at the end of their life load themselves into a carbon-based something and are able to continue living. If there was a real-life concept of altered Carbon I think this is somehow it would feel like having somebody else walk you around observing everything.


I really thought I would be off the hook after the walk and my daughter up the aisle was finished and the ideas are said but leave it to Mark Anthony to include me in the reception as well as Dianne was falling along on her Zoom invitation. So, I was expected to mix and mingle with all the other folks at the function. So not only did we visit with each other, Dianne and myself, which was fun, but we visited with the bride and the groom, granddaughters who had a functional part of the wedding ceremony of course in one or two of the other guests. I felt a little bad because I did not give any wedding speeches as I guess giving away parents do. I hope Shelley can forgive me. I was just not ready. Now, after the fact I'm thinking up all kinds of things I could've said but there are many other testimonies given as to Shelley's pristine personality, divine character and outgoing love of a person. I was proud. That made for a long afternoon though. Mark Anthony was beside himself acting as the master of ceremonies playing music and encouraging people to dance as well as give testimony to the bride and the groom. Mark Anthony really did make it a good Job for the event. I can't imagine what it would have been like had I been there…

No comments: