Saturday, November 06, 2021

Coffee Shop Conservatives

I am so fortunate to have a coffee shop literally right around the corner or better yet across the street from my apartment complex. I may have written briefly about this place the past. It's called Hidden Peaks coffee and I think I've written about the guy who owns it. He's a great guy but kind of a typical to allow the folks at patronizes shop. This is the shop that closes on Sunday of all places or businesses to close on Sunday it seems like a coffee shop is not one of them or should not be one of them. But anyway, I've really tried to like this place and I do on a superficial level. I love coming in there and the fact that staff knows me well enough to not have to be reminded of all my quirks when I order my cup of coffee. They know exactly what to do even new staff! I think if this shop was open on Sundays the same crew would be there as on Saturdays. Saturday crew has been making their first long as I've been around just been five years now. Two distinct groups who don't know of one was spun off from the other over some issue in days gone by. Neither of the groups of ever made me feel comfortable though there has been some feeble attempts to reach out since I often go in on Saturday mornings to get a coffee as a way of getting change for either that laundry or going across the street for a haircut. Today, I needed change to go across the street for a haircut. She still the only place in town I know who charges $7.99 cents . I still cannot get out of their for under 10 bucks. So I either need a $10 bill or two fives really. The Saturday morning crew is a conservative bunch. I can imagine anyone of them being part of that Washington DC Capitol building takeover raid. There's a couple big TV screens hanging from the ceiling and Fox news is always running . There's always chatter running at the tables it's hard not to hear bits and pieces of the conversation and like I said at times it's very uncomfortable. Seems like there's always a news article from the flat screens About concealing carry, Planned Parenthood, that other thing about evolution of some sort in the all grunt and grown and a huff and puff. There's been a couple times when they haven't realized I'm in the coffee shop or a forgotten that I was there but they've even got after wheelchair folks asserting their rights. They seem to lighten up a little bit if they know I'm in the area.Today I was in for a pretty fast trip. All I really needed to do was to break a $20 bill so I'd have enough money to pay my Hispanic barber across the street. I'm sure if the crowd knew what I was getting my change for good run me out of town on a rail but I'd look good for new haircut…

No comments: