Saturday, November 13, 2021

Bus Bridge Chaos

 

My view sitting in the middle of the bus bridge chaos. Look on the little girl's face says it all


Last night, the weatherman said today was going to be a beautiful day and I could just tell when I looked out the window this morning he was correct. I didn't have really anything planned for the day. I figured I should stay home and clean up the apartment as best I could. The apartment didn't look too bad except for the table where I had kind of In a weak moment gave up on the table. I grabbed a bunch of baked goods from the giveaway tables but showed up on Thursday night. I grabbed a chocolate cake, four roles, a box of four giant icing covered cinnamon rolls and some chocolate chip cookies. I don't know what I was thinking like I said I got caught in a weak moment. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of all these calories. I confess I've eaten one cinnamon roll broken apart a couple others believing that if I break up the cinnamon rolls into pieces it's not as bad. The only thing that reinforces me is that I don't eat as much of the cinnamon rolls. The same is true with the cake I cut the cake into slices now I will let them dry and then eat them little bit by little bit over an extended period of time… I hope. I guess the point I'm making I was overwhelmed by my table I had to get out, I had to get free. I saw myself cruising around downtown and the old neighborhood on the east side. So off I went


I've been meaning to do this for some time, get downtown to my old house that I rented just off 600 East. and third South. The day was near perfect for cruising in power chair. While the sunshine no wind and fairly warm. As I boarded the train to head downtown I was confronted with announcements overhead indicating that major work was being done on the light rail and all the trains would stop at Ball Park station and bus bridge the points north past the construction zone. In my case downtown Salt Lake Gallivan Plaza. A fine place for jumping off. As soon as I heard they were doing a bus bridge, I should just shut everything down on either gone home or gone the other way. I forgot how dramatic interruption of services can be for transit riders. As we got to the ballpark station and the bus bridge you could just feel the tension in the air people were milling about the buses. The buses had names on them “Green” “Red” “Blue” to continue on with the train service you are on that before the bus bridge. People were all bunched up together looking like a scene from “Schindler's List”. There was a general anger and confusion however there is one man extremely angry and extremely verbal swearing his brains out. He was an hourly worker and blamed the the bus bridge for losing work time. He was seething, stomping he look like an individual who if had access to firearm of any kind would've started shooting bus drivers and probably bus people. The driver finally threatened to have the angry man removed from the bus which helped a little but in general everything was tense.


Had a good day downtown. My old apartment house the whole corner of the block which are referred to as Foster-Ville had been sold a number of years before. And the owner and someone else was standing in the driveway when I rolled up and introduced myself. We had a brief discussion of the night left my home trips. I was tired now and just wanted to be home. I felt that I had done something not necessarily important but different. It was just chaos at the bus bridges going home. The chaos lingered on to the buses then the train. I was glad to be done with my downtown day but not sorry that I went…

No comments: