Sunday, January 09, 2022

The Omicron wheeze

 


I don't plan to make a big issue out of having Covid and probably more precisely the Omicron variant but seriously the variant is what is, driving my life at this very point in time. To be honest with you I really didn't pay much attention to the whole thing until the past couple of days. The actual notification of course of having Covid but the sore throat I had after the initial coughing, sore throat seemed to be ruthless. I could not swallow, really even when I didn't have food or water just swallowing you know in the in between times I could barely do it. I'm so thankful that I did last more than three days. It was during this time began to realize “wow, is this how people die with this infection?”. For the first time I got a little scared of wondering if I would wake up dead. I thought about all those people who actually got the deadly Covid last year who were lucky enough to be admitted to hospitals and still have any symptoms never came out of the hospital. Thank goodness come about the third or fourth day my sore throats begin to lighten up and I really begin to think as I was out of the woods. Had I dodged the bullet? I was still having some coughing which kind of worried me from time to time but overall I was feeling fairly decent.


I didn't pay much attention at first I thought it was just residual from the coughing or whatever. But I was waking at night to wheezing. Just the wheezing every time I exhaled as I lay in bed. It seemed is usually started around 3 AM. I was quite surprised for what I thought was a long time being awake, that when I did get up I felt pretty decent for the whole day. I wasn't necessarily sleep deprived. I thought the wheezing would go away, or at least become less prominent as I healed but that hasn't necessarily been the case. Then yesterday I don't remember quite what I was thinking are doing, may have had something to do something Dianne said but I realized that the wheezing I was experiencing is directly related to the Covid or are pretty much believe the omicron variant. When I started reading up on people's experiences with the virus their reporting about these hellacious` sore throats exactly what I was having. It took me a minute to put two and two together and that is omicron plus some former respiratory distress equals what I've! Remember ARDS or Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome, a good friend Sheila and died from this almost 20 years ago maybe longer. I'm 70 years old. I'm somebody with a compromised respiratory system anyway because of my spinal cord injury, I better watch out! I am prime candidate for death. This is sobering. I'm so thankful I've got my three shots and that I workout daily on my arm bike. I don't know how much this actually helps me but I know it does not hurt me and maybe, just maybe it will help you get past the the respiratory issues. I even went to the Internet and found the trick if you have an wheezing you can cut down on some of that by pursing your lips together like you're going to whistle and slowly breathe out. I tried that is always laying there and sure enough it did stop the wheezing briefly I don't know if it would be a enough to allow me to get back to sleep and sleep better through the evening or morning but it makes you feel if there's options and there's hope. Dianne counseled me to put my teapot on and saturate my apartment with wet air. So, I've been doing that this afternoon and hopefully that might make a difference. I will call my healthcare provider and see if I need a referral to a respiratory therapist. Maybe I don't maybe I'm doing okay still to be safe I might be something I'm going to look into. I promise to write about other things in the days to come but I have to warn you this Covid thing is the biggest thing in my life right now I'm going to write about it…

No comments: