Monday, November 14, 2022

Mail Call!

 



As many of you readers know I have an ongoing project of writing my grandkids every month. It's not on my grandchildren but a couple others too. I totally believe in the concept of letter writing and quite enjoy dumping the letters in the mail at the beginning of each month. Oddly enough rarely do I see any return on the letter sent. Others tend rely on texting, emails in the good old phone calls which are all good and great for communication and staying in touch. Over the weekend I took a minute and ran down to the mailroom to check out my slot and there was a letter in there for my granddaughter Brisa. I was delighted to see the hand scribbled address on the front of the envelope, properly addressed and stamped. A real live letter.


I'm not sure but I think the last time Brisa visited she found an old typewriter around my apartment which I really had no use for. An old manual typewriter which look like it'd seen better days. Now, I don't know this letter was typed on that type writer or she is found another machine but whatever the case she hammered out a really good letter. I've impressed. Believe me I can still remember trying to type letters out on my parents manual typewriter an old Smith Corona. By the time I was pretty much finished with the letter their numerous mistakes on the page smudged out and grimy from handset of spent too much time with the ribbon. There is also smudges from erasures or attempts at erasing mistakes. Brisa's letter had only one or two cross outs relatively neatly done but a great letter. Great letter discussing summers end , school inquiries to my health and status as well as I think a request for some more bookmarks. The last bookmark I gave her was lost in the last move.


One of the best arguments for handwritten letters is the size of the writing. It seems like you can write forever on a typewriter and in the end have written very little to show you for your efforts. Even if you cover quite a bit of ground the size of the type and the uniformity of the type makes it look like a never ending challenge to fill the page. The best techniques I use is increasing the size the font that can really make a short letter look long list of adults impressive. This of course is with the magic of technology something you can't do on a manual typewriter. However, I love the effort and the bond that something like this makes. I actually this morning after getting squared away and get are for the day wrote her a letter back and included a number of bookmarks plus a blank Mark that she can use to make your own bookmark or she so desires which I think she will. I think Brisa is going to be very creative. I'm looking forward to the next letter…

No comments: