Thursday, November 24, 2022

T-Day

 

green being casserole hot in the oven


I think I was actually excited about today being Thanksgiving when I woke this morning. I woke a little earlier than usual about 5:30 AM and hung around the bed for a minute or 2 before jumping into my day. There was talk about being a coffee klatch today so I got dressed relatively quick and went down to the common room and of course there was nothing going on. This wasn't a really big issue but was only 8 AM to 8 AM and 9:30 AM when the klatch is false start. Now I still wanted to get a pumpkin pie for my dessert for today which would mean going across the street to the market. One of the folks here had informed me that Macy's would be closed all day. I kind of doubted that but who knows maybe they knew something I didn't so I called the market and sure enough they were going to be open till 2 PM which constructs out in my mind. This allows last-minute shoppers to get something and still allows the market staff get home with their family should be so desire.


I was quite relieved that traffic was so minimal on Redwood Road but I didn't have to go all the way to the light. This went a little ways down to the driveway and zipped across Redwood Road straight to the market. I don't know why I had such a fixation to get a pumpkin pie probably more than I wanted to spend for a lot more pie that I want to eat. But I found one that was still little frozen. I had everything else that you slice it back home. And excitedly I began fixing the green bean casserole. For a brief moment I was little worried that I didn't have the ingredients. Eventually I found a can of mushroom soup, green beans and a couple of cans of fried onions or as I set. One of the things I found followers of the market were quite durable 8 x 8 10 or aluminum cooking vessels. These are just perfect for side dishes and specifically today the green bean casserole literally a couple bucks!


The casserole came together fairly easily. I chose one of my steel pots to mix everything up with before I put them in the 8 x 8” panda to cook. One can of mushrooms soup, a couple of half of milk, teaspoon of soy sauce, small bits of cheddar cheese, all mixed up bad 2/3 cup of fried onions mixed thoroughly of the rest of the onions another 2/3 cup and then put in the baking dish then into the oven. 350° for 20 minutes I did 30. Came out great. So I heated up my hungry man turkey dinner then pulled out the warm dinner put on a big plate put on the pieces a turkey had gotten from the apartment Thanksgiving leftover plate. Heated up the gravy, I opened one count of Campbells turkey gravy. The only thing was a failure was the mashed potatoes I should've made some from dehydrated flakes are cooked one of the big potatoes I purchased. They are pretty watery and cold this is not everything else was great specially warmed up dressing. I had a real-life authentic Thanksgiving dinner with much less stress than I've had in other years. This is definitely the way to do it if I'm to do it for myself. The pumpkin pie was okay certainly not world-class but good enough for this holiday.


Interestingly I had a small mako my door as I was finishing up my Thanksgiving dinner and it was Tim my friend who lives on other side of the building. She had scored one of the Salvation Army turkey dinners. I was astonished at how nice that dinner locked. The ones I had before were gross. I put in the fridge and I'm looking forward to another great dinner very very soon…

No comments: