Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Me and My Buddy David Rogers

 



Isn't it weird when you think you know something and then your religion not really sure that you know anything at all? Today was another cold and overcast day threatening snow, a good day to stay in the joy the heat and the convenience of streaming technology. However all that changed in the instant when I was contacted by my good buddy David Rogers who is a major blast from my past. My buddy David has kids living in North Salt Lake so he has a reason to visit periodically. Historically, he has never really dropped in to see me on one of his kid visits that's okay. Why don't know doesn't hurt me but he made contact with me earlier this Christmas season and we visited on the phone for about an hour. It was a great visit we rehashed a lot of stuff. But today he called and said that he wanted to take me to lunch. I of course immediately agreed offer any of the village in are my favorite D's restaurant on the corner both of which I could get to within minutes.


We connected by phone midmorning it was about 15 minutes after 10 AM. And when David said you want to do lunch I figured traditional 12 noon lunch but if you want to come down now this is okay will do it. I gave in the directions to the restaurant but he wanted to come to my apartment and then walk with me to the restaurant which was really unnecessary I could not figure out why this was so important to him. I fought it for a few minutes and then finally accepted the software is going to be. About 45 minutes later David did show up and we talked quite a while in the apartment before we settled up at walked over to the D's restaurant. David was quite worried about me stress the fact that is wearing shorts and we're going out of the cold weather. So I'll let them wrap my legs up one of my pieces of fabric that I keep around for just that reason and I wore my great White coat and off we went. We had a great lunch talking and the staff were great to us to making sure my coffee cup that was continually top off and that David was taking care of too. We had a great time. But one of the most interesting parts of the whole event was trying to figure out how and when we how and when we met.


I really five new how we knew each other. We went to the same high school Borah senior high. I thought we met during seminary (you remember that quasi-religious class that Mormon youth attended while going to senior high school) but David said he didn't go to seminary. But I knew we sat at the “seminary table” where we all sat after seminary in the morning before classes started at the high school. But we both agreed that we went to the Mormon Saturday night dances together. David would pick me up in his vehicle and drive me. But were still fuzzy on how and when we met I can't remember. But we're pretty close so close in fact we were roommates at one time in my little house in Nampa Idaho in the first apartment I had on my own. I can't remember how we connected first. We had a couple shared friends but nothing really jumps out about will be first met each other I guess it's not really important now is just an artifact but one I'd like to know just the same. It sort like choosing where we were going to have brunch will be realized it didn't matter where we went the food and style of dining was not important what was important was that we had a place we could comfortably discuss our shared history and plan our shared future however that may look like…

No comments: