Saturday, December 11, 2021

Front Door Roast

 



It started late last summer, if my memory serves me correctly, I believe I've mentioned before that I enjoy sitting in the back of the building in the parking lot by the back door reading during the summer afternoons and evenings. I like to read this until I cannot stand the heat anymore that I moved to the shade. Anyway, one afternoon this lady that I call Marta who is very nice and very old but still drives her vehicle daily (as many of the seniors in this building do – – kind of blows me away). We ended up beginning to talk and one time I asked her where she was going and she said to Costco and on a whim I asked you to pick me up some grapes and that I would give her some money now or compensator when she got back and we knew how much the grapes were exactly and Marta indicated we would just settle up when she came back. I went back to my book and didn't think much more about the situation until the next morning when I got up there is a white plastic bag wrapped around the handle of my door with a carton of grapes. Marder never let me compensator for the grapes indicating that she had taken half of them and so somehow that made it all worthwhile. I don't know if this was a good move or not.


Since then every couple of days it seems or maybe every other week I come home to all manners of items hanging off my door handle. One week it was bags of cherry tomatoes and small cucumbers the size of my forefinger. It's just kind of weird when I spoke about this with my friend across the hall Billie. Billie indicated that she was courting me. (Have I written about this before sounds really familiar?). I refuse to believe this of course she's way too old but she certainly keeps trying to keep stuff on my doorknob. Yesterday, I caught her in the act as those living my apartment she was just approaching with bags in her hand. She informed me that this material is for me and not to worry about it (I wasn't sure what “it” was exactly). When I protested she indicated that because the president had given her so much extra money this last year she is trying to find ways to spend. At least that's what I took away from the conversation. I put the materials in the apartment then left for my appointment for I came back I look through the materials to my surprise there was like a 4 pound roast in one of the bags! There is also small bag of colored peppers, small brown potatoes and carrots. Carrots the size of your thumb that are all peeled and everything just ready to be dumped into your stew or super whatever your making or just eaten. Essentially I don't know if this is what her plan was but everything was therefore a roast beef dinner – – high-end much more sophisticated than I'm used to. The seriously must've caused the bundle but since of so Machiavellian my head and returned everything to the refrigerator and went on my way.


Today I figured what the heck I'm going to cook the roast today with the vegetables and all have my dinners for all next week taking care of! What a great deal? I didn't even get the project start until about 1 PM in the afternoon thinking I would have enough time for that a cook all afternoon and part of the evening if I had to ask what I did. There's a little bit of consternation at first because I couldn't find the lid to my smaller crockpot/slow cooker but I've is it found a lid that would work. I dumped taters in with the carrots and onions (oh yes I forgot there is for five big red onions with the vegetable mix) turn the cooker on high and enjoy the rest of my afternoon as the whole mess begin the cook. I finally took the roast out of the cooker about 7 o'clock and carved off enough for dinner with a few potatoes and was quite pleased with myself. I let the roast cool down and now the roast is in the fridge, of course. I forgot to turn the crockpot off so when I went to put the the vegetables and juice away they were too hot and now I'm letting them cool and will try to get them in refrigerator by bedtime. I don't know what to think of this new mysterious benefactor. Maybe she just getting rid of food she doesn't want anymore. I mean after all it is so hard to cook for yourself, just one person, so maybe I'm just doing a service in helping another senior not waste food…

No comments: