Friday, December 10, 2021

Preview Of A Catastrophe

 



Remember yesterday I was talking about the snow we were having? The snow which fell yesterday was like an drizzly and chilly but I was able to get through the mess and get back home crank up the heater by my computer and actually post my blog entry for the day. I was feeling pretty good having the blog been possible to settle in for an evening of possibly watching my current favorite show which is Young Sheldon and then later on the show about ghosts – – it's a sitcom, celibate kind of entertaining for Thursday night certainly not like the old days when there was the likes of Seinfeld as well as Hill Street Blues. There is also a long period of time when I also enjoyed Grays Anatomy as of Thursday night choice. Now however it's Young Sheldon and ghosts. I was thinking of maybe even squeeze in a movie on top of everything else. But that was not to be.


It was kind of bizarre but I think I was visiting with Dianne on chat when all the sudden my room was shoved in the darkness and the only thing that was operational roles model cell phone with Dianne's image and voice. I shrugged my shoulders and figured that the day storm probably had something to do with something or somebody careened into something on the home commute and knocked out the power. I figured that will be it for a while I'm sure it'll be up and ready for Young Sheldon. I got off the phone with Dianne failed effort to conserve my power on my cell phone. I did have a device that I can plug into mice chair and leech power off of it to power my cell phone but when I needed I couldn't find it so much of my life is that way it's got a be here somewhere I'll have to find the converter, it is just too valuable not to use. Our property has emergency power which just means that the halls are lit up as well as the elevator and the entry doors. There is no power in the rooms per se which also means the furnaces are an operational in the rooms begin to chill. I eventually migrated out into the hall since that's what the other residents are doing and then wandered on down to the foyer/lobby where it look like people were just trying to figure out what was going on on.


The first two hours were kind of exciting. Because of the storm there were clouds everywhere which meant the whole day was darker than usual and that was true for the evening. But the first two hours people disorder mingled upfront thinking that the power was going to come on at any moment… The power did not. At 7 PM we got a message that the power would be restored by 9 PM. Somewhere about that time the fire department showed up and went upstairs to rescue Barbara and overweight lady who lives in her La-Z-Boy. The only trouble with electronic La-Z-Boy is that when the power goes so does it and Barbara could not get out on her own but the firemen saved the day. It was getting chilly but we kept yammering and talking and one of the residents who works at the food bank brought over Thursday throwaways are whatever which wasn't bad for this Thursday. I got a bag of Doritos chips and a few other things.we waited two more hours at 9 o'clock the power didn't come back on and there was rumor that it wouldn't come on for another four hours but luckily around 9:15 PM there is a click and lights flooded everywhere.. I was overwhelmed with joy to hear the sound of the heaters/furnaces coming on and just the light itself was wonderful, beyond report. We been saved.


This event really kind of frightened me to be honest. I mean I know on a basic level that we have power in our lives but I really taken for granted I take it for granted. I had only 20 units of power on my cell phone when the power came back on I never did find my Jack, though I did have a lot of power of my power chair I couldn't use it to jack up my cell phone. I have to get that fixed. Without communication you dead in the water. What if I'd been in bed I'd have to call the fire department. What about this joint I live in one of their any emergency power plugs for power wheelchairs, respirators and other things that seniors use. We very well could be the first casualties in a major power outage that would last for days from say like a flood or earthquake or who knows what else is kind of spooky last night and still is today but not nearly as bad…

No comments: