Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Cornbread and chili Yum!

 



My problem okay one of my problems, is that I tend to hold onto things too long way past the expiration dates. I have this bizarre belief that if I keep things sealed covered the stuff will be good forever. But once again I found my reasoning flawed to the point of exasperation. I've been wanting to make cornbread for a couple weeks now particularly since the weather is beginning to change nothing says cold-weather better than hot cornbread. Remember last week I think I wrote about the fact that I threw away a couple pounds of flour that I've had on my shelf for about a year. The flour was sealed in the wrapper, I thought I was safe but when I opened up the package there was little weevil guys all around wiggling making fun of me. I thought about using the flour anyway I've thought about sifting the flour to get rid of the weevils but in the end I ended up tossing the whole package in the dumpster. Over the weekend I got a fresh package of flour. Today, my home health worker brought a container of homemade chili and what better reason to make cornbread and homemade chili?


I had to search a while to find my can of corn meal by finally found it. I thought it was sealed tight but once again when I opened the lid there was a little guy right on top waving to me. This was the final straw there is like 3 force of a container of cornmeal and near as I could tell very few weevils are husks of weevils past. I sifted through the cornmeal pulling out a few others decided what the hell I'm the only ones can eat this anyway so I decide to use the cornmeal. I've made decision I think of benefit at all of my cooking stuff ingredients. The baking powder was like 5 years past is due date but I've been using baking powder whenever I cook. I'm going to get a hold new container of baking powder maybe the baking soda and a new container of cornmeal. I think my vanilla is okay after all it's like boozegood forever that's what I believe. Just to be full disclosure I did find my canister of flour that has a super tight lid on it that I had hidden in the corner and thought I was okay with it but it was full of generations. I dumped it and watched it and will put the new flour and it, twist it tight and keep an eye on it. I want to make cookies soon, better check my oatmeal before I get my hopes up. Got the raisins and I got the walnuts selected make through oatmeal cookies soon that's if the flour is not infested and I just don't know anybody about my protein farm .


There's something about homemade chili that can't be duplicated by anything from the can. Gloria, my home health person, used onions and tomatoes and great hunks of ground beef in 3 different kinds of beans! The cornbread was not near as good as the chili but together they made a wonderful dinner. I haven't made chili for some time but maybe I'm about do. My poor kitchen takes a beating…

No comments: