Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Public Service

 



As you know I have a standing Tuesday morning meeting almost every week. With the private nonprofit that I've written about extensively Assist, Inc. we don't have the meetings every single week but usually at least twice a month when we have funding. Right now I really like these meetings not because not because of their entertainment value as much as they give me credibility to myself as having value. Anyway, today's the day, Endres and even called me last night our yesterday afternoon to let me know for sure we were meeting. I was a little worried about being able to make the transfer to the chair this morning since I'm using my backup chair but everything went well even dressing seemed easier with the backup chair. I did my usual caught the bus and got to be office about a half an hour before the meeting was scheduled to start and stop the little le Parisian space pastry and coffee shop next door. actually, before I went to the coffee shop I went through the library since it was on my way. The red line train drops me off in front of the library. I was minding my own business checking out the closed shops and reading the announcements on the Billboard when suddenly one of the library renter cops asked me if I had little drop some of my belongings. I couldn't imagine what he was talking about turned around and look for a pointed and there was a blanket and some other kind of bedding. Obviously the officer thought I was some homeless guy and had left so my belongings at the library. The library is a major go to place for homeless folks. I have to admit I was a little shocked. I thought I looked pretty good I was even color matched worried my Borah green. My shoes hadn't even slipped off my feet yet though I have to admit my poor palsied legs still look pretty intimidating. Be sure the officer that was not my stuff then rolled onto the coffee shop. I'm trying to let this stuff go. I'm sure the guard meant no harm but still is my presentation that bad? I may have to rethink my year-round wearing of shorts.


My meeting of the Assist volunteer board was fairly productive. I signed my share of documents that assured low-income individuals would get emergency home repairs. I even made nice with the other the other volunteer who is a good person but quietly drives me insane. We reviewed and signed the requests for service then did the obligatory chitchat and then I said my goodbyes. I had pretty much done as much goodwill is as able for the day it was then the coordinator of our program remembered and ran to his desk and came back with an envelope with my name on it. It was a stipend, a check! I had not planned on this I never do and I'm always surprised when we are rewarded for just doing good amazing…

No comments: