Wednesday, October 05, 2022

Utah Dollar Star Milk

 



I think I've written before about the food boxes which come once a month here to certain residence at this facility. I of course am not one of those residents that get one of these food boxes. The boxes come from the food bank which is a relatively reputable organization aside from stopping the food boxes with quite frankly, a lot of expired “by due date” items. That's okay I don't really believe in the due date phenomenon anyway aside from a way to clear grocery shelves to sell more product and the poor get the postdated product but that's room for another post when I'm feeling a bit more cynical. Anyway, what I found is that in the food boxes are boxes of milk. It's 1% milk which I don't know if I qualify as real milk as far as milk goes is more like Whitewater but still it's not bad in coffee, taken my meds late at night before I go to bed and or on cold cereals especially frosted flakes which after filtering through ends up being sweet Whitewater. But nobody likes the milk it seems like or they didn't used to in the milk would always show up on the sharing shelf which I would probably grab it as many as I could usually 3 or 4 at every month. Sometimes those who knew I did this actually saved the milk for me. I don't know if it's been the result of inflation or what have you but suddenly it seems people are no longer giving up their boxes of milk and I finally depleted the stockpile I've had going for some time.


I love this milk primarily because it's a product of Utah farmers as well as its conveniently packaged to not need refrigeration. I've learned you can't keep this milk forever and it probably is wise to use by the date prescribed on the box – – which I usually do – – but it stacks well in my food pantry and it keeps well in the refrigerator after it's been open sometimes for a couple weeks. What they said in the great wisdom of the food box people they only take 1% however I found that at the local, semi-local dollar store I found the exact boxes of milk from the secondary! And even though the dollar stores no longer the dollar store is dollar 25 store I think the milk is a great deal being able to get a number of boxes for a $10 bill. I've been meaning to get to the dollar store all week but have not had the opportunity until today. Once again a little frustrated because I had no white stuff to put in my coffee this morning I committed to strapping my basket on my lap and heavy and not to the bus stop going up to 5400 S. to the dollar quarter store. I really wanted the boxes of whole milk and they have those along with the 2% and 1% variety. Of course when I got to the dollar store is able to find boxes of the 1% and 2% and then way in the back on the bottom rack was alone carton of full milk. I was able to grab that along with 2% which I think I'll enjoy. When I got to the teller to check out after when the next shipment of full milk would come in she indicated that a person had come in the day before in literally took all the red boxes or full milk I just lucked out and found the one he/shemissed. The checker indicated that be in the shipment is a couple of days. I may return I have enough now to keep me going. I don't like to buy milk at the market because I seldom drink that much milk before it goes bad but the small boxes work just fine and are always have milk on hand if I need them. So if I can get them from the food boxes of getting from the dollar store until they run out but don't think that'll happen anytime soon…

No comments: