Monday, December 05, 2022

Ham –Burglar

 



I was committed to mailing out the Christmas kid letters today. I would prefer to got them out 4 days ago but things happen. But the day I felt comfortable enough to go out to the bus go back down to Mountain America and get the cash as well as other items I needed the monitory sense. On the way back I had a few things to pick up so I stopped at Walmart which is adjacent to a McDonald's restaurant. One of my guilty pleasures in this life is dining at McDonald's. It's not like I love a lot of their food just some. In fact thoroughly to sandwiches on the menu I really order one of is the fish sandwich and the other is the basic run-of-the-mill entry McDonald's hamburger, cheeseburger for really want to go on a rage. Many times I jazz it up by ordering extra pickles at onions and that's about it. Today was overcast with threats of snow but the snow didn't happen while I was out anyway. It felt like a good day to treat myself to a McDonald's lunch.


I can remember it was quite a phenomenon when the Golden Arches 1st appeared in Boise way up on Orchard Avenue. The big deal was $.15 burgers which seemed incredibly cheap. For some reason I didn't realize or think through the whole concept that regular burgers at that. Time for just $.19. But our family thought it was wonderful to have a place to get such cheeseburgers and they were quick all trademarks the chain the advertised almost daily at how many burgers they had sold. It was almost you get a whole meal over Coke small fries and a burger like under a dollar. Boy, have things changed


I have to confess I did a little intimidated every time I go to McDonald's these days. I could never figure out if I can go to the counter in order what I want or must I go through the computer screen or the screen they have read just touch your order which sends the order back to the kitchen and he put it together for you. I mean like if you use the credit card or your bank card you could get away by getting your whole lunch without having to see any staff or even touch any staffers or whatever. I sat and watched kids do exactly that come in touch the screen 5 or 6 times hamburger, fries, Coke or whatever drink their ordering and then swiped the thing with their card and that's it the numbers called out at some point they pick up their food and they are gone just like tha. I would like to do that someday but I'm not ready for that experience yet. Anyway today I thought I'd really treat myself go all out and besides ordering the burger I ordered a side of fries, and I felt festiveso in sync with the season I ordered a hot chocolate. I knew my order was going to be expensive but the whole thing came to over $6! Fortunately I had the change for such an order of luckily had just been to my credit union so I still had about 300 cash in by pack case I needed it. But I could not believe my hot chocolate was almost $3! That's like double the cost of the burger in the burger was 10 times what it used to cost unbelievable! And it would been really a lot more had I ordered the fish sandwich.


I eat my lunch in small bites trying to stretch out the experience and convince myself that the meal was worth the money I paid. It was not, come on this is McDonald's. But still, I convince myself the experience is priceless…

No comments: