Friday, December 09, 2022

Fun Raiser or Fund Raiser?

 


As the astute reader of this blog is aware this blog is not what I had written in the “placeholder” post that I uplifted to the log this afternoon. I still want to develop that thought as far as dreaming of a new environments having to go through the whole new space phenomenon but instead I think I will go ahead and write my feelings about my attendance at the open house tonight.


It's Christmas season and that's when a lot of private nonprofits hold their “holiday type celebrations which used to be Christmas parties” tonight was the Assist, Inc. holiday celebration and fundraiser. This is the 1st time in my memory that the agencies come straight out and announced that it was a fundraiser which I thought was kind. Most the time they like to hide the fact that woven into their holiday event is the “give me money” zinger. There must be a fairly contagious phenomenon provide noticed the 1st of the week that my local radio station/public radio affiliate is having their “abbreviated” holiday fundraiser. This just a fundraiser just been coming on again breaking into my favorite shows doing the money beg routine. Let's miss my regular programming I turned off the radio during these time periods. Makes me feel a little Scrooge like that you can only stand so much.


I didn't mind the fundraising aspect from tonight's open house. I want to show management as well as staff that I was a team player and wanted to support the director. I have to admit I was pleased when I rolled in at the welcome I received. The folks in generally impressed and pleased to have me there made me feel good and warm because it was a long cold track on public transit from my apartment to Assist and even though it was just a little after 5 o'clock it's the dark time now and it was almost dark at 5 PM and dark by 5:30 PM when I got there. I was a little shocked because there weren't many folks there comparatively speaking from what I remember from the old days. In the old days it looked like a scene from Scrooge showing the celebrations of Scrooge's childhood. There be people coming and going all during the open house dropping off everything from cookies to booze it was a happy time. Now it's pretty sparse really weren't that many people there except for staff staff family and a few other folks in the community that I saw. There giving a small presentation each professional giving the rundown of what they did with a small show of images. It was kind of cute fun like unlimited fundraisers comments. Took about 45 minutes and then they opened up the food again which is nice. Just checking this year the old days there was ham and roast and always a turkey. Cookies and cakes and things brought in by volunteers usually a nice layout. The night was not bad a lot of GUI stuff but I did know how to eat but I have cheese crackers it was okay. I kind of worried about my appearance” of homeless person I wandered in off the street but luckily people know who I am and hopefully they just see me for me.. I should've taken images that I didn't just couldn't bring myself to pull out the camera/cell phone. I schmoozed a little bit just enough to be polite and act genuine but I was anxious to get home, warm and enjoy the warmth of the evening. I didn't have any of the wine they offered. It was from the bottles I've coveted all year. If you are drinking but look like they still had a number of bottles left unsure which will be there next year hopefully I will be too…

No comments: