Thursday, April 20, 2023

Coffee Social and Little America Memories

 



It was cold today in the 40s but at least the sky was blue when the sun was shining As hard as it could but still made being out in the weather a challenge for me. That's okay though I got around all right. Coffee when off okay this morning, by the time I got down to the common room some of you actually put the tables out and even covered them with plastic tablecloths. I had been a little worried because there seem to been some kind of miss communication about what was going to be available for refreshments. There was a rumor that a breakfast of sausage gravy and biscuits was to be had and no one was sure if that was really going to happen. Luckily however Irene, who has been setting up the room for the social for years had her son bring in a couple dozen donuts which more than covered the needs of the group today. In fact, they sent a number of donuts home with me at the end of the social, the leftovers. And I basically like any kind of leftovers so I was happy with that happened to get another coffee social out-of-the-way. I collected money which I do every social, everyone's encouraged to give a dollar for expenses, but we found out that over the years nobody's been using the money which is collected and the person who has been running the group is bought the refreshments from their own money which typically is only like $5 whether it's donuts or cookies. But I guess the red and white bank bag that the cash goes into is added up over the years and now we've got a do some heavy spending for the coffee social. So whether were to do a pancake breakfast are biscuits and gravy or whatever the next couple of events might be pretty interesting. I count the operation is a success if everyone is verbalizing, smiling and laughing often on and so far that's the way it's been. Someone's doing something right.


As you know, today was writers Guild, the ongoing lunch which the retired writer actually pays for each meeting. Everyone looked good however today and we had pretty good discussion and I think I ordered the most expensive dinner. I had a hankering for Turkey actually I wanted a hot turkey sandwich which was not on the menu but they did have turkey dinner. So I ordered the turkey dinner but was a little surprised when actually my meal came with 3 thick pieces of bread covered with turkey and gravy. It's the closest thing to a hot turkey sandwich I'm sure I could've gotten in the city unless they're still serving hot turkey sandwiches at the Little America Hotel downtown. I believe that place, if it's still around, had the best turkey meal in the Salt Lake Valley. They served every day I know this because I had an acquaintance who bought me lunch there were soon after I moved to this town and I can't for the life of me remember why he invited me out to lunch. Somehow I'd run across to them at the Independent living Center one is doing some outreach of one sort or another. I never did realize our understand if he was independently wealthy are just like turkey dinner that he had an every day at the Little America. I don't know of little America is still there but I know that it was semi-replaced by the Grand America which is much more expensive and caters to the elitists travelers from local elites downtown. I doubt that I'll ever sample their wares but you never know. It was nice that the waiter use some self initiative and had the kitchen to the openface sandwich but I kind of was looking forward to the mashed potatoes but either way I got my carbs in my conversation and my association with a couple real writers in the Salt Lake County area I'm just amazed that they take time to hang out with me…

No comments: