Sunday, May 30, 2021

Holiday Prep

 



I was all planned to write about making potato salad for dinner tonight and for my Memorial Day one person picnic celebration tomorrow when I began having difficulties with my speech to text software. This last sentence dictated really well I don't know what happened but I've had to load and unload this program will begin the program lives will figure out which microphone the computer was accepting. Right now the program is running much better than before but there is still some significant glitching going on. I think the software will allow me to finish today's post but posting is going to take a while.


Well, I finally got the computer to kind of work and see what I can do. One of my mandates for the weekend was the cleanup the kitchen table and other parts of the apartment. While doing so I found a plastic sack of apples and roasted potatoes that I've gotten from the food bank a few weeks ago and forgot. The bags of produce were covered by grocery bags and all kinds of paper. The taters were little spongy but I figured a couple minutes in the microwave would do the trick. I have to admit this task with some excitement. My potato salad would be my goal of my Memorial Day dinner/picnic. Of course this will not be a real picnic but my fantasy of a holiday celebration. I am also planning making sloppy Joe's go with the potato salad. If I do not do the sloppy Joe's I will default to hot dog, either wayI'm going to have the feast. The only thing which would have made this holiday dinner better would have been a watermelon. I just wasn't ready for slicing and dicing fruit that large yet… But it's going Fourth of July for sure.


I have to admit I surprised myself at how well I put this holiday salad together. I had microwaved the potatoes early on and so they were quite room temperature by 3 PM or so. The potatoes were small so I used four. I didn't skin them using the excuse of wanting to know what the skin on the potatoes renders. The chopped up nice as the onions and pickles. I was really enjoying myself. It seemed like I put in half a bottle mayonnaise but I'm sure it was less than half a bottle but seemed like a lot I really enjoyed

squirting mustard into the mess. I stirred with a large serving spoon and I should have used the spatula but I got the job done eventually . And of course the most delightful thing all being able to taste the product I am producing for quality control. I have not yet put the concoction into the refrigerator to chill down the problem will be perfect for tomorrow. So now before I go to bed I must hold my pound of hamburger out of the freezer to begin thawing for tomorrow's sloppy Joe's. Who knows maybe I might make a fast dash across the street for the watermelon…

No comments: