Monday, May 10, 2021

Rare Please!

 



I've gotten into this thing of cooking London broil roasts. I don't know what provoked me into cooking my first London broil maybe it was getting snagged by one of those YouTube videos on cooking things. It doesn't take me long to get totally involved in some of those sites. But anyway the London broil is a relatively flat piece of meat – kind of thick one of the reasons I'm so partial to the cut. The video I saw took the broil and pretty much cooked at seven minutes on each side that was all I couldn't believe it but I did it and to my surprise the meat was tasty as well as edible. I don't know if this just beginners luck or what have you but I'd pulled off and on top of that I took the slab of meat once it cooled and then with my rocker knife cut off Thin slices of meat. What I was left with kind of reminded me of finger steaks from the 60s. I put the slices into a plastic bag was able to eat off of the slices's almost for the whole week. The LB is a relatively tough cut of meat and I suppose I could go through all the song and dance and meat voodoo to make the cut more tender and perhaps I would do that if I was serving at the other people besides myself. As it is now seven and seven let stand 10 minutes and slice.


Having written that introduction now I'll fill you in about Today's London broil. I picked the piece up about a week ago and just haven't had time to get around to cooking until today. This London broil was a little bit thicker than I was used to but I don't think that made a difference. I chose to cook the meat in my heavy-duty iron castIn hopes of building up my hemoglobin. I use better bottled garlic for my basic cooking materials and use the heat at I think lower medium or medium-low hour one says it. The meat still cooked hot but I want to make sure I was getting the seven minutes on each side. Smoke started emanating off of the meat not too bad but there is definitely some charring going on. I have a lot flipped it over the side wasn't burned but it was getting close. I was getting worried about my heat choiceSo I turn the heat down a notch. I'm pretty sure I cooked the second side for seven minutes but it was still cooking pretty hot. I took the meat of the heat and put it on the cutting board to rest for the 10 minutes and when I did cut the piece bled profusely. I'm kind of getting into rare meat are you know cooking rare. But when I cut the piece of the roast was pretty red on the inside. So I threw the whole thing back on the stove for another seven minutes and called it good.


I was doing it upright one of the roasters (potato) I purchased last week was still pretty good so I threw the microwave and nuked it – – I have found that once a potato is nuked for the six minutes or whatever it stays hot for a long time – – I also warmed up the can of spinach I found in the pantry. And finally cut the roast into three or four pieces for dinner. When I played by dinner it was hot I even found sour cream and refrigerator well past its “best by” date. The sour cream was well on its way to separating itself into its basic parts but I just stirred and stirred them soon sour cream looks just fine and of course sour cream sour cream at sour begin with. I totally loved my dinner and I'm going totally enjoy it for the next week or so but I couldn't help look at the piece of meat that I had cleaved off and what part remained there was still pretty red. I don't know if I'll choose to put that piece back on the heat for our unit or just go ahead and go for it after all I need is much iron as I can get…

No comments: