Wednesday, May 19, 2021

The Blue Grump

 



I feel so helpless as I pull myself up to the upright position again, one of many times during this day, as I plow through using the backup chair. I've said before I think that the chairs actually too large for me so I tend a list over to one side and I have to posture by pulling myself up all day long. However, following my brother's intervention yesterday by fixing the hydraulics on the foot box I really have enjoyed the chair from that standpoint I was a little worried that the batteries seem to be running out pretty quickly but it's not bad. The best part about the frequent battery drainage is that it sort of locks me into the apartments until I get another chair that's a bit more functional. Today, is my friend Billie's birthday she invited me out to dinner. We went to Village Inn, which is just down the block from the apartment complex. The reason I bring this up was this is the one place I had to go today and I want back sure I didn't get stranded as I did earlier in the week. Unfortunately I don't think I even use more than 3/10 of the charge of the batteries in the chair according to the screen on my controller.


This chair is a real bugger to access from my bed. Twice now two days in a row it's spent a bit of a struggle to get myself set up once I make the initial transfer. I want to blame the cushion because it makes a bit of a ditch between the mattress and where the cushion starts and I find myself filling up that ditch with my body and once in there I'm stuck until I can flatten the chair out by elevating the front and the declining the rear end slide myself over with the help of sticks and all kinds of good luck. Sometimes, recently, I've really begin to wonder how long I can do this independently. I think as part of the discouragement of not having the proper equipment. This equipment dependency certainly brings to the front of my mind how disabled I still am and how I tend to live in denial as long as I have the adequate technology to get by. It is that bad? I mean everything's technology to one point or another weathers the shoes you wear, brushing your teeth with whatever technology is used etc. etc. So in my case I just got a souped-up toothbrush that allows me to get dressed and allows me to get myself up in the morning and get going on my day. Woa be under me however on those days when I miss the mark of my technological target which is more and more the transfer from the bed into this backup chair. Again I must reiterate I certainly feel better about this chair now that the foot box is repaired from the efforts of my brother. Still I need to get another backup chair.


When I first calls this morning once the world came back online was the IHC wheelchair shop and the speak with Cameron to advise him that I need to have my primary chair that I've been using picked up, this is the one that I lost the motor to, have them ascertain what's wrong with the chair. Because, I really wanted to be my backup chair. Of course Cameron goes into it with song and dance about how insurance isn't going to cover it and is again basically confronted with the idea that I know this and I'm willing to look at private pay. I don't know it's going to take for motor for that right side but I hope something can get figured out. No new information regarding the new chair as we wait for the critical parts to come in but by all means it sounds like one way or the other I just have to endure a few more days and I'll be back on the road. I just hope it's soon…

No comments: