Sunday, May 09, 2021

Road – Slide Treasures

 



The other day when I was out on one of my bus trips I stopped and took an image/picture of one shoe in the road. I don't know why but I've become fascinated with shoes on the side of the road. I'm also intrigued with shoes hanging off the telephone lines but not as much as just plain shoes themselves abandoned on the side of the road. I have seen actual pairs of shoes but more often than not just one and usually a pretty bad disrepair making it easier to understand why the owner no longer felt they needed that particular garment for the foot. I wish I had started taking pictures earlier on that I did. I've had the capability for some years now with cell phones. I've taken a few images but not as many as I've seen over the years going back and forth to work, riding the train and just around my neighborhood.


The image I have posted of the days blog is the most current. One of my favorite images is well the high-heeled shoe that I passed one day a couple of decades ago. I would love the story of this shoe. It's a beautiful stiletto, black it was just sitting there I think on a bus bench. This shoe maybe feel like a Joe Jackson song for some reason or some other piece of rock 'n roll dealing with footwear of women. This morning as I was out with Mark Anthony heading for the restaurant we passed a whole king-sized mattress with the box springs they look like they're in great condition all surprised.


Of course there's other things that a person with the keen eye and the patience to stop and dig out your camera and snap an image can collect. Wallets, ballpoint pens, watches, glasses folding money (if you're lucky) car keys, combs and brushes and on and on. Sometimes I get weird looks from people when I'm bending over an object and snapping it with my cell phone. I'm sure they think I'm strange to say the very least. But I don't mind I see myself as a quasi-artist. These relics left one side of the road they all told story and probably a sad story truth be known the story just the same which I feel needs to be recorded somewhere. If nothing else I can use the image as a starting point for the creation of a short story or a thought or a blog entry even. These items have value if nothing else to me. So many times I've passed up great images just because I felt I had some place to go so important that I couldn't stop long enough to whip out my cell phone/camera. I regret those lost opportunities and commit to not letting another one pass but I know that I will I know who I am. In the meantime I plan to dedicate one folder on my hard drive for images gathered from along the way

No comments: