Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Shoe Blues

 



The day held such promise. Clear skies warm but not hot great day for traveling in my power chair or not. It's Tuesday and that means it's the Assist, Inc. volunteer group I am part of which approves grant requests for home repairs for people with disabilities and people who are low income. The meeting was good I got there about a half an hour before the meeting started so I went next door to get coffee but I did not pay for my coffee since the boss of Assist was there getting bakery treats for staff and he just told the folks to put my coffee on the tab so I never fetched out my wallet.


I finished the meeting was excited about heading over to one of my guilty pleasures Taco Time in getting fast food. I had to travel about five blocks to get where was going but really not a big deal or not. The taco time in Salt Lake is on the corner of State Street and 800 S. across from the Sears Roebuck building. As as motoring across the street coming up on the sidewalk I noticed there was a shoe or boot all by itself on the curb. As you know I take pictures of such such images. This boot was quite perfect and I sat there in my chair bend over clicking of a couple photos. Having completed this task I put my cell phone back in my bag for my chair and gear and was getting ready to head out but I wasn't going anywhere except in a circle for some reason I thought might clutch on my right side motor had come undone – – this happens from time to time especially when I go over a bump or something – – so I leaned over a bit of a struggle but I leaned over and pulled the lever back at the place as I thought I should but still nothing happened. I kept going on this fragmented circle and begin to get worried but did this over and over again thinking that each time the next move would be the difference in each time it did not happen. I spent almost an hour and a half in the sun trying to get my chair and gear. I began to feel a bit dizzy for lack of food so I thought about snagging somebody to buy me some food to bring back to me and then I looked and realized I did not have my wallet!! I thought sure I had it with me when I left the apartment. I would've realized this had I paid for my coffee at the coffee shop but I didn't so now I couldn't move my chair and I had lost my wallet somewhere I made bad calls back to the Assist office and essentially asked Andre who is the person I work with that Assist to come down to help me after research the office for my wallet. Andre found nothing as far as my wallet goes but did come down and sit with me and work with me on my chair until we finally called red cab who dispatched one of their folks to come and get me. That even took probably close to an hour but finally I got home and luckily my brother was there to meet me and we spent the next two hours working on my chair at least he did – – this was my backup chair which was not working very well. One of the calls I made frantically when I was trying to build some sort of rescue scenario was people were my new chair should be coming from. I really wanted them to realize how desperate that I was and I desperately needed some attention. I cannot believe these people do not have a system set up to help people stranded in the field with their product. Anyway long story short they sort indicated by chair, my new chair was coming in bits and pieces and they may have enough to assemble it into a usable thing. I don't understand this a bit at this point I'm grasping at straws. Like I said my brother did get my chair, backup chair, functional on some level but it's really not ideal. I want to send my regular chair now, into the shop to have them look at that motor and see what they can do if anything because that's what's ideal for me. Now the main problem is I no longer have faith in my regular chair at least right now. I don't know how much faith another have in the new chair once it gets here and gets done. All I knows the back of chair is functional for the time being and I'm kind of surviving sitting in this chair at least for the last couple hours and I think it would have to do it over the long term I can figure out how to do that but it's just a matter getting in and out of the chair from the bed that worries me when I'm by myself the transfer goes bad when I go to do? What am I going to do…? All for want of an image of a shoe when my going to do?

No comments: