Saturday, May 08, 2021

Family Funeral


I did not sleep as well as out of light but I did okay. Not sure why I woke up at 4:55 AM probably because it is the day of the funeral, my sister-in-law's funeral. I want to make sure I had the time to get dressed and get dressed right make it to the bus and over to Murray for the funeral. Luckily the mortuary is right on major bus route so I figured if I could get to the IHC hospital which is also the Murray central station were my bus lets me off I could grab some breakfast as well. I've kind of been following the loosening of restrictions regarding masks in public places. The hospital not been able to feed people in the cafeteria during the Covid. However I called specifically this morning and spoke with the folks indicated that I was interested in using the cafeteria and wasn't openly said of course it was open and then I specifically restated my question that is open to the public just to come in and eat breakfast and she said it was and of course I believed her.


True to form on the day that I would like to of been relatively warm today was not that day the cold front moved in and even though the day was bright sunshine there's a cold wind blowing yesterday the temperature was in the middle 80s today we're lucky to see 50s. I wore long pants today the first time in a long while like for five years. I also wore a white shirt and my black sweater so I ask you had enough protection from the cold wind. I was not surprised but a little disappointed when I was turned away from the hospital cafeteria. Fortunately, the mortuary is not that far away from Murray central station and I could easily get there in time in my power chair. And I figured out be able to get breakfast somewhere along the way. Sadly there's not really a restaurant the path that I chose to go but there was a 711 and you find about everything at a good 711 and this morning I found a large spicy hot being beef and cheese burrito a little awkward but doable and I was pleased to have a warm object of my hand as I trekked over to the mortuary.


The funeral slated for 11 AM with a 10 o'clock viewing I got off the bus around 8:30 AM given me a lot of time. I enter the mortuary around 930 9:45 AM and had interactions with the staff who let me stay in the building to wait for the rest of the people show up. Just me and the staff probably for the people of the building (alive). I wandered around checking the place out and I entered one room in the turned around was almost shocked to see my sister in law lying right out there big as Dallas.


I think we had a pretty good turnout. I was quite frankly surprised that representatives from different family groups that s…howed up. My sister-in-law has significant effect on a lot of people. It was great to see my cousins some who traveled all the way from Spanish Fork. Other cousins from Idaho who made the great trek Salt Lake. The service was typical LDS heavy on religion and the forever family ideal. Extremely heavy with family involvement, speaking parts by the grandchildren as well as opening closing prayers. Also, the obligatory musical numbers by family and congregation. I thought it was a good service.


The fact that this service took place in the mortuary and not the local LDS ward house was quite a shock to me. That is pretty atypical in the Mormon universe. This usually happens at the ward house. I chose not to go to the graveside service just because of logistics. I could've gotten there on public transit for think were taken a long time and the service will run over by such time. I heard no information regarding a family dinner or whatever so I didn't plan on such and even if there was such a option the place where it would be was not accessible and again I can only really go where public transit goes and on that time schedule. Mark and I took off almost immediately after the funeral train left the station enjoyed our company goofed around Murray hanging out for a while in the little martial arts shop. The day had warmed a little bit but as pretty glad from the bus pulled up to take me to the train and home

No comments: